Observations on the meat-eating behavior of wild bonobos (Pan paniscus) at Wamba, Republic of Zaire
- 198 Downloads
Meat-eating behavior of wild bonobos (Pan paniscus) was witnessed on two occasions at Wamba, Republic of Zaire. Only flying squirrels were observed to be eaten by the bonobos. Several bonobos gathered around the possessor of the meat and showed interest in the meat on all occasions. Begging behavior was noted on one of the two occasions, but the possessor of the meat ignored it. No sharing of meat was seen on either occasion. The exclusive targets of hunting by bonobos are apparently small mammals, such as flying squirrels and infant duikers, since evidence of meat eating by wild bonobos, which have been studied for more than fifteen years, has been restricted to these mammals. The bonobos at Wamba may have a specialized “prey image”, as in the case of the chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) of the Tai forest, and certain medium-sized or small mammals may not conform to this image.
Key WordsPan paniscus Meat eating Hunting Begging Wamba
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Badrian, N. &R. Malenky, 1984. Feeding ecology ofPan paniscus in the Lomako Forest, Zaire. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 275–299.Google Scholar
- Goodall, J., 1986.The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Idani, G., 1990. The Luo Reserve of pygmy chimpanzees in Wamba, Zaire.Africa Kenkyu, 37: 65–74. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- ----, 1990b. Interspecific relationships between bonobos and several arboreal monkeys at Wamba, Republic of Zaire. Paper presented at the 27th Annual Meeting of the Japan Association for African Studies.Google Scholar
- Kano, T., 1980. Social behavior of wild pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) of Wamba: a preliminary report.J. Human Evol., 9: 243–260.Google Scholar
- ———— &M. Mulavwa, 1984. Feeding ecology of the pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) of Wamba. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 233–274.Google Scholar
- Kuroda, S., 1984. Interaction over food among pygmy chimpanzees. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzees: Evolutionary Biology and Behavior,R. L. Susman (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 301–324.Google Scholar
- Takahata, Y., T. Hasegawa, &T. Nishida, 1984. Chimpanzee predation in the Mahale Mountains from August 1979 to May 1982.Int. J. Primatol., 5: 213–233.Google Scholar
- Teleki, G., 1973.The Predatory Behavior of Wild Chimpanzees. Bucknell Univ. Press, Lewisburg.Google Scholar