A preliminary list of chimpanzees' alimentation at Bossou, Guinea
- 119 Downloads
A preliminary list of all the plant and animal foods for wild chimpanzees at Bossou, south-east of the Republic of Guinea, is presented for comparison with that of other study areas and as the basic data for the further studies.
Altogether 205 food items (species × part eaten) from 156 species in 106 genera of plant food are recorded (Table 1). On the other hand little of animal food has been recorded (Table 2). Thus only one species of mammal (tree pangolin) and bird (wood owl) are represented in the diet along with only a few types of other animals. As calculated from number of food items fruits and seeds (nuts) occupy more than half of the diet; and leaves, shoots, and twigs (stems) constitute about one third.
Key wordsChimpanzee Food-list Bossou Meat-eating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adam, J.-G., 1971a.Flore descriptive des Monts Nimba. Editions du Muséum, Paris.Google Scholar
- ————, 1971b.Flore descriptive des Monts Nimba (2e partie). Editions du Muséum, Paris.Google Scholar
- ————, 1975a.Flore descriptive des Monts Nimba (3e partie). Editions du Muséum, Paris.Google Scholar
- ————, 1975b.Flore descriptive des Monts Nimba (4e partie). Editions du Muséum, Paris.Google Scholar
- Hladik, C. M., 1977. Chimpanzees of Gabon and chimpanzees of Gombe: Some comparative data on the diet. In:Primate Ecology,T. H. Clutton-Brock (ed.), Academic Press, London, pp. 481–501.Google Scholar
- Kano, T. &M. Mulavwa, 1984. Feeding ecology of the pygmy chimpanzees (Pan paniscus) of Wamba. In:The Pygmy Chimpanzee,R. Susman (ed.), Plenum, New York, pp. 233–274.Google Scholar
- Lawick-Goodall, J. van, 1968. The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Anim. Behav. Monogr., 1: 161–311.Google Scholar
- Nishida, T. &S. Uehara, 1983. Natural diet of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii): long term record from the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Afr. Stud. Monogr., 3: 109–130.Google Scholar
- Sugiyama, Y., 1981. Observations on the population dynamics and behavior of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, 1979–1980.Primates, 22: 435–444.Google Scholar
- ————, 1984. Population dynamics of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, between 1976 and 1983.Primates, 25: 391–400.Google Scholar
- ———— &J. Koman, 1979a Social structure and dynamics of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Primates, 20: 323–339.Google Scholar
- ———— & ————, 1979b. Tool-using and making behavior in wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Primates, 20: 513–524.Google Scholar