Population dynamics of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, between 1976 and 1983
- 74 Downloads
The population dynamics of a small group of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, were studied during a 6.5-year period between 1976 and 1983. The natality rate (0.23 births/female/year) was higher and the interbirth interval (4.3–4.4 years/female) was shorter than those of chimpanzees at East African study sites (the Gombe and Mahale National Parks). The infant mortality for the first 3 years (0.06–0.18/year) was lower than those in East Africa. However, the population had remained almost stable since 1967 (growth rate: 0.985/year). The increase in number by births was offset by the disappearance (perhaps emigration) of adolescent chimpanzees. Adult males immigrated and disappeared (perhaps emigrated) but adult females rarely did.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albrecht, H. &S. C. Dunnett, 1971.Chimpanzees in Western Africa. Piper, München.Google Scholar
- Goodall, J., 1983. Population dynamics during a 15-year period in one community of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe National Park, Tanzania.Z. Tierpsychol., 61: 1–60.Google Scholar
- Hamburg, D. A. &E. R. McCown (eds.), 1979.The Great Apes. Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park.Google Scholar
- Hiraiwa-Hasegawa, M., T. Hasegawa &T. Nishida, 1984. Demographic study of a large-sized unit-group of chimpanzees in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Primates, 25: 401–413.Google Scholar
- Lawick-Goodall, J. van, 1968. The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Anim. Behav. Monogr., 1: 161–311.Google Scholar
- Nishida, T., 1977. Social structure of chimpanzees. In:Anthropology Series Vol. 2, Primates,J. Itani (ed.), Yuzankaku, Tokyo, pp. 277–314. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- , 1979. The social structure of chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 73–121.Google Scholar
- Pusey, A., 1979. Intercommunity transfer of chimpanzees in Gombe National Park. In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 465–479.Google Scholar
- , 1981b.Studies on Behavior and Society of Wild Chimpanzees. Kodansha, Tokyo. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- &J. Koman, 1979a. Social structure and dynamics of wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Primates, 20: 323–339.Google Scholar
- &, 1979b. Tool-using and making behavior in wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea.Primates, 20: 513–524.Google Scholar