Measurement of deviant behavior in a gombe chimpanzee: Relation to later behavior
- 115 Downloads
In 1973, personality ratings using a test called the Emotions Profile Index (EPI) were made on a number of Gombe chimpanzees, including a deviant female namedPassion. Passion's ratings were compared to the profiles of the other adult females from the same community.Passion's ratings were also analyzed in terms of her subsequent infanticidal and cannibalistic behavior, observed from 1975 to 1977. The EPI scales were found to be useful in detecting social deviance. The test appears to be a good descriptive and predictive measuring instrument. Suggestions are made for utilizing the EPI rating scales in the assessment of the psychological well-being of captive and/or research animals.
Key WordsChimpanzee Personality Deviance Emotions Profile Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Driscoll, J. W. &P. Bateson, 1988. Animals in behavioural research.Anim. Behav., 36: 1569–1574.Google Scholar
- Goodall, J., 1971.In the Shadow of Man. Houghton Mifflin, New York.Google Scholar
- ————, 1987.The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior. Belknap, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Martau, P. A., N. G. Caine, &D. K. Candland, 1985. Reliability of the Emotions Profile Index, primate form, withPapio hamadryas, Macaca fuscata, and twoSaimiri species.Primates, 26: 501–505.Google Scholar
- Novak, M.A. &S. J. Suomi, 1988. Psychological well-being of primates in captivity.Amer. Psychol., 93: 765–773.Google Scholar
- Plutchik, R., 1970. Emotions, evolution, and adaptive processes. In:Feelings and Emotions: The Loyola Symposium,M. Arnold (ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 1–24.Google Scholar
- ————, 1980.Emotion: A Psychoevolutionary Synthesis. Harper & Row, New York.Google Scholar
- ————, 1984. Emotions: A general psychoevolutionary theory. In:Approaches to Emotion,K. R. Scherer &P. Ekman (eds.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey, pp. 197–219.Google Scholar
- ————, 1989. Measuring emotions and their derivatives. In:The Measurement of Emotions,R. Plutchik &H. Kellerman (eds.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 1–35.Google Scholar
- ———— &H. Kellerman, 1974.Manual for the Emotions Profile Index. Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles.Google Scholar