Comparative diagnoses of twin zygosity by SSLP variant analysis, questionnaire, and dermatoglyphic analysis
Zygosity diagnosis has been performed in 79 pairs of twins using three methods. Simple sequence repeat length polymorphism (SSLP) analysis allows an efficient classification (MZ or DZ) with only a few markers following a simplified technique of extraction and amplification. A method based on a full questionnaire completed by parents about twin similarity correctly classifies 97.46% of the pairs; 92.41% are correctly classified using only four questions as suggested by logistic regression analysis. The third method, using dermatoglyphic analyses, correctly classifies 86.76% of pairs. To lower the cost of DNA diagnosis we stress the possibility of limiting its use to pairs with scores in the overlap area between MZ and DZ twins with a validated questionnaire.
Key WordsDermatoglyphics microsatellites twins zygosity zygosity questionnaire
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eufinger, H., Rand, S., Scholz W., and Machtens, E. (1993). Clefts of the lip and palate in twins: Use of DNA fingerprinting for zygosity determination.Cleft Palate-Craniofacial J. 30:564–568.Google Scholar
- Hosmer, D. W. and Lemeshow, S. (1989).Applied Logistic Regression, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Lench, N., Stanier, P., and Williamson, R. (1988). Simple noninvasive method to obtain DNA for gene analysis. Lanceti:1356–1358.Google Scholar
- Porrini S. C., Sciarra, A., Sulli, N., Piane, M., Gualtieri, R., and Del Porto, G. (1990). Variable number of tandem repeats in zygosity diagnosis in twins.Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 39:473–477.Google Scholar
- Reed, T. (1986). Blind assessment of zygosity using dermatoglyphics from the NHLBI twin study.Am. Dermatoglyph. Assoc. Newlett. 5:6–11.Google Scholar
- Reed, T., Norton, J. A., Jr., and Christian, J. C. (1977). Sources of information for discriminating MZ and DZ twins by dermatoglyphic patterns.Acta Genet. Med. (Roma) 26: 83–86.Google Scholar
- Spitz, E. (1994).Etude d'une des variables de l'environnement maternel prénatal: effets à court et à long termes du type de placenta chez les jumeaux monozygotes, Thèse de l'Université Paris V René Descartes, Paris.Google Scholar
- Spitz, E., Carlier, M., Vacher-Lavenu, M. C., Moutier, R., Reed, T., Busnel, M. C., and Roubertoux, P. L. (1994). The effect of MZ chorion type on variation in anthropological measures, intelligence and cognitive processes.Behav. Genet.,24:531 (abstr.).Google Scholar
- Sprague, F. R. (1976).Dermatoglyphic Patterns of Fingers, Palms and Soles: Analysis of Genetic Variance in Twins and Use in Zygosity Determination, M. S. thesis, Indiana University, Bloomington.Google Scholar
- Vogel, F., and Motulsky, A. G. (1979).Human Genetics Problems and Approaches, Berlin, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar