Screening tuber-bearingSolanum spp. for resistance to soft rot caused byErwinia carotovora ssp.atroseptica (van Hall) Dye
- 39 Downloads
Soft rot caused by Erwinia carotovora ssp. atroseptica is a major disease of stored potatoes. Since varietal resistance can contribute to control, the work reported was designed to find new sources of resistance among related tuber-bearing Solanum spp. True seeds were imported from two international collections and families were screened for resistance to tuber soft rot. Forty-eight resistant clones were found in 21 out of 100 accessions. These clones will be used in breeding programmes at the diploid or tetraploid level.
Additional keywordspotato blackleg Solanum tuberosum L.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Austin, S., E. Lojkowska, M.K. Ehlenfeldt, A. Kelman & J. Helgeson, 1988. Fertile interspecific somatic hybrids ofSolanum: a novel source of resistance toErwinia soft rot.Phytopathology 78: 1216–1220.Google Scholar
- Bourne, W.F., D.C. McCalmont & R.L. Wastie, 1981. Assessing potato tubers for susceptibility to bacterial soft rot (Erwinia carotovora subsp.atroseptica).Potato Research 24: 409–415.Google Scholar
- Ciampi-Panno, L. & N. Andrade-Soto, 1984. Preliminary evaluation of bacterial soft rot resistance in native Chilean potato clones.American Potato Journal 61: 109–112.Google Scholar
- Dopke, F. & R. Heitefuss, 1987. Blackleg of potato cultivars in relation to stem and tuber resistance toErwinia spp.Abstracts EAPR 10th Triennial Conference. Aalborg, Denmark. July 1987, pp. 138–139.Google Scholar
- Hanneman, R.E. Jr & J.B. Bamberg, 1986. Inventory of tuber-bearingSolanum species. Wisconsin Agricultural Experimental Station. Sturgeon Bay, USA, Bulletin 533. 216 pp.Google Scholar
- Hoekstra, R. & L. Seidewitz, 1987. Evaluation data on tuber-bearingSolanum species (2nd edition). German-Dutch Curatorium for Plant Genetic Resources, Braunschweig, 202 pp.Google Scholar
- Huaman, Z. & R.W. Ross, 1985. Updated listing of potato species names, abbreviations and taxonomic status.American Potato Journal 62: 629–641.Google Scholar
- International Potato Center. 1991. Annual report CIP 1991. Lima, Peru, 258 pp.Google Scholar
- Priou, S., K. Al Ani & B. Jouan. 1992. Comparison of the effectiveness of two methods of screening potato soft rot induced byErwinia carotovora subsp.atroseptica (Van Hall 1902).Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the EAPR Breeding & Varietal Assessment Section and the EUCARPIA Potato Section. Landerneau, France, January 1992, pp. 139–140.Google Scholar
- Ross, H., 1986. Potato breeding. Problems and perspectives. Supplement 13.Journal of Plant Breeding, 132 pp.Google Scholar
- Soest, L.J.M. van, 1983. Evaluation and distribution of important properties in the German-Netherlands potato collection.Potato Research 26: 109–121.Google Scholar