Angular dependent rayleigh scattering of Mössbauer radiation on proteins
- 24 Downloads
RSMR experiments with57Fe radiation were performed on myoglobin. An areasensitive detector was employed for simultaneous angular dependent collection of the scattered quanta up to a maximum angle 2θ of 17‡. Experimental data of polycrystalline and lyophilized myoglobin are compared with computer calculations of the scattering which are based on the atomic coordinates determined by X-ray structure analysis. Special attention has been paid to the influence of coherence effects from collectively moving parts of the protein. A simple model is introduced in order to take into account these segmental motions. Our first results indicate that the sizes of collectively moving segments are comparable with spheres of about 6 å in diameter in dry myoglobin. In myoglobin crystals, where the molecules are surrounded by large hydration shells, the movements appear to be correlated in segments with sizes comparable to helices.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.H. Austin, K.W. Beeson, L. Eisenstein, H. Frauenfelder and I.C. Gunsalus, Biochem. 14 (1975)5355.Google Scholar
- H. Frauenfelder, F. Parak and R.D. Young, Ann. Rev. Biophy. Chem. 17(1988)451.Google Scholar
- F. Parak and H. Formanek, Acta Cryst. A27(1971)573.Google Scholar
- Yu. F. Krupyanskii, F. Parak, V.I. Goldanskii, R.L. Mössbauer. E. Gaubmann, H. Engelmann and I.P. Suzdalev, Z. Naturforsch. 37c(1982)57.Google Scholar
- G. Albanese, A. Deriu, F. Cavatorta, Yu.F. Krupyanskii, I.P. Suzdalev and V.I. Goldanskii, Hyp. Int. 29(1986)1407.Google Scholar
- R.L. Mössbauer. F. Parak and W. Hoppe, in:Mössbauer Spectroscopy II, ed. U. Gonser (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1981) pp. 5–30.Google Scholar
- E. Huenges, J. Loock, H. Morinaga and F. Parak, Nucl. Instr. Meth. 203(1982)527.Google Scholar
- R.L. Mössbauer, Hyp. Int. 33(1987)199.Google Scholar
- G.U. Nienhaus and F. Parak, Hyp. Int. 29(1986)1451.Google Scholar
- F. Parak, H. Hartmann, G.U. Nienhaus and J. Heidemeier, in:Structure, Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules, ed. A. Ehrenberg, R. Rigler, A. GrÄslund and L. Nilsson (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987) pp. 30–33.Google Scholar
- A.H. Narten and H.A. Levy, in:Water — A Comprehensive Treatise, ed. F. Franks, Vol. 1 (Plenum Press, New York, 1972) pp. 311–332.Google Scholar