Statistical analysis on oral cancer patients related to radiotherapy
Sixty nine patients with carcinoma of the oral cavity, especially those treated by radiotherapy during the 5 year period from 1982 through 1987 were reviewed. Sixty three of 67 patients (94%) had received radiation therapy with curative, adjunctive or palliative intent. In the cases when external irradiation was applied, the antitumor agents were combined in most cases. As the curative therapy for tongue cancer, 23 of 33 patients were treated with radiotherapy alone, i.e., interstitial implants alone or in combination with external irradiation.
The 5-year cumulative survival rate for all cases was 55.4%; for stage I and II was 84%, and for stage III and IV it was 22.7%.
Key WordsOral cancer Radiotherapy Statistical analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).UICC (International Union Against Cancer):TNM classification of malignant tumors. ed.3, pp. 17–26, 1978, UICC, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 2).Greenberg, B. R.:Chemotherapy. In: Head and Neck cancer. Treatment of the difficult case. Donald, P. J., pp. 359–377, 1984, Saunders, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 3).Masaki, N.: The role of Bleomycin combination in radiation therapy for squamous cell carcinoma in the oral cavity.Jpn. J Cancer Chemother. 13: 1725–1730, 1986Google Scholar
- 4).Ohizumi, Y., Fukuhara, N., Tamai, Y. and Mori, T.: Primary clearance for head and neck cancer by combined radiation with or without chemotherapy —Comparison with predicting probability from multivariate model by RTOG-.J Jpn. Soc. Cancer Ther. 22: 2362–2369, 1987Google Scholar
- 5).McGregor, I. A. and McGregor, F. M.:Cancer of the Face and Mouth. pp. 341–345, 1986, Churchill Livingstone, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- 6).Horiuchi, J., Shibuya, H. and Takeda, M.: Role of radiation therapy in the multimodal treatment of head and neck cancer-with special emphasis on oral and maxillary sinus cancer.Jpn. J Cancer Chemother. 13: 1717–1724, 1986Google Scholar
- 7).Konno, A., Hanazawa, S., Okamoto, Y. and Ishikawa, K.: Multidisciplinary treatment of cancer of the maxilla and the oral cavity.Jpn. J Cancer Chemother. 13, 1753–1756, 1986Google Scholar
- 8).Shiina, T., Mikuriya, S., Hatano, K., Hattori, H. and Yamada, T.: Radiotherapy of oral cavity region cancer with special reference to intraoral electron therapy.J. Jpn. Soc. Cancer Ther. 22: 1408–1416, 1987Google Scholar