Aperiodic task scheduling for Hard-Real-Time systems
A real-time system consists of both aperiodic and periodic tasks. Periodic tasks have regular arrival times and hard deadlines. Aperiodic tasks have irregular arrival times and either soft or hard deadlines. In this article, we present a new algorithm, the Sporadic Server algorithm, which greatly improves response times for soft deadline aperiodic tasks and can guarantee hard deadlines for both periodic and aperiodic tasks. The operation of the Sporadic Server algorithm, its performance, and schedulability analysis are discussed and compared with previously published aperiodic service algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BorgerM. W. 1987.VAXELN Experimentation: Programming a Real-Time Periodic Task Dispatcher using VAXELN Ada 1.1 Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.Google Scholar
- LehoczkyJ. P., L.Sha, and Y.Ding. 1987.The Rate Monotonic Scheduling Algorithm: Exact Characterization and Average Case Behavior. Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.Google Scholar
- Lehoczky, J. P., L. Sha, and J. K. Strosnider. 1987. Enhanced Aperiodic Responsiveness in Hard-Real-Time Environments.Proc. IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, San Jose, CA, pp. 261–270.Google Scholar
- Mok, A. K.-L. 1983. Fundamental Design Problems of Distributed Systems for the Hard-Real-Time Environment. Ph.D. Dissertation, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA 02139.Google Scholar
- Sha, L., and J. Goodenough. 1988.Real-Time Scheduling Theory in Ada. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.Google Scholar
- Sha, L., J. P. Lehoczky, and R. Rajkumar. 1986. Solutions for Some Practical Problems in Prioritized Preemptive Scheduling.Proc. IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, New Orleans, LA, pp. 181–191.Google Scholar
- ShaL., R.Rajkumar, and J. P.Lehoczky. 1987.Priority Inheritance Protocols: An Approach to Real-Time Synchronization. Technical Report CMU-CS-87-181, Computer Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.Google Scholar
- Sprunt, B., Sha L., and Lehoczky, J. P. 1988.Scheduling Sporadic and Aperiodic Events in a Hard Real-Time System. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Sprunt, B., J. P. Lehoczky, and L. Sha. 1988. Exploiting Unused Periodic Time for Aperiodic Service using the Extended Priority Exchange Algorith.Proc. IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, Huntsville, AL.Google Scholar
- Strosnider, J. K. 1988. Highly Responsive Real-Time Token Rings. Ph. D. Dissertation, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.Google Scholar