Determination of residual-stress variation with depth by the hole-drilling method
- 590 Downloads
The hole-drilling method is a residual-stress measurement technique in which a blind hole (usually 1.6 mm or 3.2 mm in diameter) is drilled into a material and the strain perturbances around the hole are measured by surfacemounted strain gages. The conventional hole-drilling-method procedure is to analyze the net strain changes due to the drilling of the full-depth hole (usually about 100 percent of hole diameter) and to interpret the resulting stress calculations insofar as they represent the average stresses through the hole depth. It has been determined that this procedure may lead to significant errors, particularly where there are large stress variations through the hole depth. Such errors may be difficult to detect simply by observing the strain data. This paper describes a finite-element procedure which was used to develop calibration constants to allow measurements of residual-stress variation with depth to be routinely performed by the hole-drilling method.
KeywordsDrilling Fluid Dynamics Average Stress Strain Gage Hole Diameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rendler, N.J. andVigness, L., “Hole-drilling Strain-gage Method of Measuring Residual Stresses,”Experimental Mechanics,6 (12),577–586 (Dec.1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Kelsey, R.A., “Measuring Non-Uniform Residual Stresses by the Hole Drilling Method,”Proc. SESA,14 (1),181–194 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.Flaman, M.T., “Brief Investigation of Induced Drilling Stresses in the Center-Hole Method of Residual-stress Measurement,”Experimental Mechanics,22 (2),26–30 (Feb.1982).Google Scholar
- 4.Schajer, G.S., “Application of Finite Element Calculations to Residual Stress Measurements,”J. Eng. Mat. and Tech.,103,157–163 (Apr.1981).Google Scholar
- 5.“Measurement of Residual Stresses by the Blind Hole Drilling Method,” Tech. Data Bul. T-403, Photolastic Inc., 67 Lincoln Highway, Malvern, PA 19355 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.McNeal-Schwendler Corporation, 7442 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90041.Google Scholar