Predicting retention data using the slope of the log adjusted retention time vs. carbon number plot for n-alkanes
The slope of the n-alkane log plot dt′R/dnc (t′R=adjusted retention time; nc=carbon number) for a stationary phase can be used to obtain the retention index of an unidentified substance in a chromatogram containing only one peak with a known retention index, or to predict the retention time of a substance from that of a different homolog in the same series. It can also be used to translate retention indices into relative retention time, partition coefficient or specific retention volume. Published values of the slope are collected and critically evaluated. Equations are deduced that predict its approximate value at a specified temperature given the value at only one other temperature.
Key WordsGas chromatography Retention index Slope of log plot Homologous series Partition coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. C. Reinbold, T. H. Risby, J. Chromatogr. Sci.13, 372 (1975).Google Scholar
- D. Ambrose, A. T. James, A. I. M. Keulemans, E. Kovats, H. Rock, C. Rouit, F. H. Stross, in Gas Chromatography 1960 (Edinburgh Symp.) ed.R. P. W. Scott, Butterworths, London, 1960, p. 428.Google Scholar
- E. Chong, B. de Briceno, G. Miller, S. Hawkes, Chromatographia,29, 293–302 (1985).Google Scholar
- W. O. McReynolds, J. Chromatogr. Sci.8, 685–691 (1970).Google Scholar
- W. O. McReynolds, Gas Chromatographic Retention Data, Preston Technical Abstracts Company, Evanston, Ill. 1966.Google Scholar
- O. E. Schupp, J. S. Lewis, eds., Compilation of Chromatographic Data, American Society for Testing and Materials Publication AMD 25 A S1. ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, p. 67.Google Scholar
- B. R. Kerstein, C. F. Poole, K. G. Furton, Analyt. Chem., in press.Google Scholar
- The Sadtler Standard Gas Chromatography Retention Index Library, Sadtler Research Laboratories Division of Bio-Rad Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA, 1985.Google Scholar