An experimental method for determining the dynamic contact law
An experimental method is investigated whereby the strain response from an impacted beam is sufficient to determine the contacting force. Once the force is known, it is shown how the contact law can be determined. Experimental results for an impacted aluminum beam are demonstrated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goldsmith, W., Impact, Edward Arnold, London (1960).Google Scholar
- 2.Yang, S.H. and Sun, C.T., “Indentation Law for Composite Laminates,” NASACR-165460 (1981). Also to appear in ASTM STP series.Google Scholar
- 3.Tan, T-M, “Wave Propagation in Graphite/Epoxy Laminate due to Impact,” PhD thesis, Purdue Univ. (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.Schweiger, H., “Central Deflection of a Transversely Struck Beam,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,166–169 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.Alramowitz, M. and Stegun, I.A., Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, S.H., “Static and Dynamic Contact Behavior of Composite Laminates,” PhD thesis, Purdue Univ. (1981).Google Scholar