Scanning moiré at high magnification using optical methods
Methods of employing scanning moiré at high magnification are developed and demonstrated. Modern lithographic techniques for producing custom moiré gratings with a frequency up to 250l/mm are described. On a probing station equipped with a video system, pseudo-color moiré fringes are produced using the scannning lines of the color charge-coupled-device (CCD) camera. Fringe multiplication from 1 to 5 is possible with correct combinations of magnification and grating pitch. An analysis is given to show that strain sensitivity depends only on the number of scanning lines used to record the image. The grating pitch and the magnification are important because they reduce the gage length of the strain measurement. The high-magnification scanning moiré was used to study plastic- strain fields in an aluminum tensile specimen. Local disturbances in the strain field were observed at 2 to 2.5 percent applied strain. These discontinuities became more significant at higher levels of applied strain.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Parks, V.J., Geometric Moiré, Handbook on Experimental Mechanics, ed. A.S. Kobayoshi, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 282–313 (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.Durelli, A.J. andParks, V.J., Moiré Analysis of Strain, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.Theocaris, P.S., Moiré Fringes in Strain Analysis, Pergamon Press, Elmsford, NY (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.Ifju, P. andPost, D., “Zero-Thickness Specimen Gratings for Moiré Interferometry,”Experimental Techniques,15 (2),45–47 (1991).Google Scholar
- 7.Ueda, T., “Electrical Grating Moiré Equipment,”Electrical Comm. Labs Tech. J. (in Japanese),27 (12),2627–2641 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.Kishmoto, S., Egashira, M., Shinya, N., andCarolan, R.A., “Local Micro-Deformation Analysis by Means of Micro Grid and Electron Beam Moiré Fringe Method,”Mechanical Behavior of Materials-VI, Proc. 6th Int. Conf., Kyoto, Japan, eds. M. Jono and T. Inoue,4,661–666 (1991).Google Scholar