Practical method for calculating creep of foundations of hydraulic structures
- 18 Downloads
Equations (5)–(8) can be recommended for calculating creep settlements and displacements of clays with consistency B<0.5. In this case it is necessary to take into account the increase in the viscosity coefficient with increase of depth and with time. At the observed stations creep diminishes quite rapidly, which is indicated by the small values of the coefficients K(S) (Table 2).
The thicknesses of the compressible (H) and displaceable (Hdi) layers for calculating creep can be taken (for a consistency of clays equal to 0–0.5): H=B; Hdi=0.4Bs (Bs is the width of the structure).
A comparison of the calculations for the Volga-Lenin and Kaunas stations shows that tangential stresses in the foundation greater than the creep threshold can be allowed. This will permit a more economical design of retaining structures.
The described method permits predicting also the deformation of the slopes of a pumped-storage plant.
KeywordsViscosity Clay Energy Source Power Generation Power Engineer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. K. Zaretskii, Theory of Consolidation of Soils [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1967).Google Scholar
- 2.Z. G. Ter-Martirosyan, “Secondary compression of clays,” Tr. MISI im. V. V. Kuibyshev, No. 140 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.I. K. Samarin, V. V. Ermakov, and A. I. Lyubimov, “Calculation of foundations for hydraulic structures,” Tr. Gidroproekt, No. 32 (1973).Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Vyalov, “Kinetic theory of soil deformation,” in: Trans. of the Symposium on Soil Rheology [in Russian], Erevan (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.N. N. Maslov and K. T. Kodzhamanov, “Some problems of predicting the settlement of structures constructed on unsaturated soils,” Osn. Fundam. Mekh. Gruntov, No. 4 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.N. N. Maslov, Long-Time Stability and Displacements of Retaining Structures [in Russian], Énergiya, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.A. A. Ilyushin, Plasticity [in Russian], Gostekhizdat, Moscow (1948).Google Scholar
- 8.N. I. Bezukhov, Fundamentals of the Theory of Elasticity, Plasticity, and Creep [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.I. K. Samarin, Calculations of the Foundations for Hydraulic Structures [in Russian], Stroiizdat, Moscow (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.V. I. Vutsel', I. K. Samarin, and S. V. Sinyavskii, “Calculation of the stability and deformation of the slopes of dams of pumped-storage plants,” Tr. Gidroproekt, No. 32 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.G. M. Lomize, I. N. Ivashchenko, E. A. Ishakhanov, et al., “Deformability, strength, and creep of clayey-soil walls of high dams,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 11 (1970).Google Scholar