Multivariate information transmission
A multivariate analysis based on transmitted information is presented. It is shown that sample transmitted information provides a simple method for measuring and testing association in multi-dimensional contingency tables. Relations with analysis of variance are pointed out, and statistical tests are described.
KeywordsMultivariate Analysis Public Policy Statistical Theory Contingency Table Transmitted Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fano, R. M. The transmission of information II. Research Laboratory of Electronics Tech. Report 149. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1950.Google Scholar
- 2.Garner, W. R. and Hake, H. W. Amount of information in absolute judgments.Psychol. Rev., 1951,58, 446–459.Google Scholar
- 3.Dolansky, L. Table ofp logp. Research Laboratory of Electronics Tech. Report 227. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1952.Google Scholar
- 4.McGill, W. J. Multivariate transmission of information and its relation to analysis of variance. Human Factors Operations Research Laboratories Report 32. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1953.Google Scholar
- 5.Miller, G. A. What is information measurement?Amer. Psychologist, 1953,8, 3–11.Google Scholar
- 6.Miller, G. A. and Madow, W. J. Information measurement for the multinomial distribution (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 7.Mood, A. M. Introduction to the theory of statistics. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1950.Google Scholar
- 8.Newman, E. B. Computational methods useful in analyzing series of binary data.Amer. J. Psychol., 1951,64, 252–262.Google Scholar
- 9.Pearson, K., Stouffer, S. A. and David, F. N. Further applications in statistics of the Bessel function.Biometrika, 1932,24, 293–350.Google Scholar
- 10.Shannon, C. E. and Weaver, W. The mathematical theory of communication. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1949.Google Scholar
- 11.Smith, J. E. Keith Multivariate attribute analysis (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 12.Stumper, F. L. A bibliography of information theory. Research Laboratory of Electronics Tech. Report, Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1953.Google Scholar