A method of scalogram analysis using summary statistics
A method of Guttman scalogram analysis is presented that does not involve sorting and rearranging the entries in the item response matrix. The method requires dichotomous items. Formulas are presented for estimating the reproducibility of the scale and estimating the expected value of the chance reproducibility. An index of consistency is suggested for evaluating the reproducibility. An illustrative example is presented in detail. The logical basis of the method is discussed. Finally, several methods are suggested for dealing with non-dichotomous items.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Festinger, L. The treatment of qualitative data by “scale analysis.”Psychol. Bull., 1947,44, 146–161.Google Scholar
- 2.Ford, R. N. A rapid scoring procedure for scaling attitude questions.Publ. Opin. Quart., 1950,14, 507–532.Google Scholar
- 3.Guttman, L. The Cornell technique for scale and intensity analysis.Educ. psychol. Measmt., 1947,7, 247–279.Google Scholar
- 4.Guttman, L. The basis for scalogram analysis. In S. A. Stoufferet al.: Measurement and prediction. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton Univ. Press, 1950. Pp. 60–90.Google Scholar
- 5.Jackson, J. M. A simple and more rigorous technique for scale analysis. In: A manual of scale analysis, Part II. Montreal: McGill Univ., Mimeo, 1949.Google Scholar
- 6.Kahn, L. H. and Bodine, A. J. Guttman scale analysis by means of IBM equipment.Educ. psychol. Measmt., 1951,11, 298–314.Google Scholar
- 7.Loevinger, Jane. A systematic approach to the construction and evaluation of tests of ability.Psychol. Monogr., 1947,61, No. 4.Google Scholar
- 8.Marder, E. Linear segments: a technique for scalogram analysis.Publ. Opin. Quart., 1952,16, 417–431.Google Scholar
- 9.Menzel, H. A new coefficient for scalogram analysis.Publ. Opin. Quart., 1953,17, 268–280.Google Scholar
- 10.Noland, E. W. Worker attitude and industrial absenteeism: a statistical appraisal.Amer. sociol. Rev., 1945,10, 503–510.Google Scholar
- 11.Stouffer, S. A., Borgatta, E. F., Hays, D. G., and Henry, A. F. A technique for improving cumulative scales.Publ. Opin. Quart., 1952,16, 273–291.Google Scholar
- 12.Suchman, E. A. The scalogram board technique for scale analysis. In S. A. Stoufferet al.: Measurement and prediction. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton Univ. Press, 1950, Pp. 91–121.Google Scholar
- 13.Suchman, E. A. The utility of scalogram analysis. In S. A. Stoufferet al.: Measurement and prediction. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton Univ. Press, 1950, Pp. 122–171.Google Scholar