Aortic diameters in infants and young children: Normative angiographic data
- 132 Downloads
Cineangiographic measurements, in the left anterior oblique view, of the diameter of the ascending aorta, arch, isthmus, postisthmic region, and descending aorta were made in 18 infants and children with no detectable cardiac anomaly and in 47 with congenital heart disease that did not involve the aorta. Results are tabulated according to age and body surface area. They provide normative data from which variations from usual can be judged.
Key wordsAortic diameters Cineangiographic normative data Coarctation of aorta Aortic arch hypoplasia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arvidson H (1963) Angiocardiographic measurements in congenital heart disease in infancy and childhood.Acta Radiol 1:981–994Google Scholar
- 2.Dubois D, Dubois EF (1916) Clinical calorimetry: a formula to estimate the approximate surface area if height and weight be known.Arch Intern Med 17:863–871Google Scholar
- 3.McNamara DG (1971) Coarctation: course and prognosis in infancy and childhood. In: Kidd BSL, Keith JD (eds)The natural history and progress in treatment of congenital heart defects. Charles C Thomas, Springfield IL, pp 267–274Google Scholar
- 4.Moss AJ, Adams FH, O'Loughlin BJ, Dixon WJ (1959) The growth of the normal aorta and of the anastomotic site in infants following surgical resection of coarctation in the aorta.Circulation 19:338–349Google Scholar
- 5.Patten BM (1931) The changes in the circulation following birth.Am Heart J 6:192–205Google Scholar
- 6.Rosenberg HS, Klima T, Henderson SR, McNamara DG (1971) Maturation of the aortic isthmus.Cardiovasc Res Centre Bull 10:47–56Google Scholar
- 7.Rudolph AM, Heymann MA, Spitznas U (1972) Haemodynamic considerations in the development of narrowing of the aorta.Am J Cardiol 30:514–525Google Scholar
- 8.Sade RM, Taylor AB, Chariker EP (1978) Aortaplasty compared with resection for coarctation of the aorta in young children.Ann Thorac Surg 28:346–353Google Scholar
- 9.Sinha SN, Kardatzke ML, Cole RB, Muster AJ, Wessel HU, Paul MH (1969) Coarctation of the aorta in infancy.Circulation 40:385–398Google Scholar
- 10.Van Meurs-Van Woezik H, Klein HW, Krediet P (1977) Normal internal calibres of great arteries and of aortic isthmus in infants and children.Br Heart J 39:860–865Google Scholar