Peak asymmetry in gas-liquid chromatography caused by adsorption exchange between the molecules of the sorbate and the stationary liquid phase
- 80 Downloads
The influence of the process of competitive adsorption or adsorption exchange between the molecules of the eluted substance and the liquid phase specifically interacting with the active centers of the solid support particles on the peak shape and the (net) retention volume is discussed. It is derived theoretically and shown experimentally that the process of adsorption exchange on the sites of the solid support's surface covered with a monomolecular adsorption layer of the liquid phase molecules leads to peak asymmetry in the region of small samples and to a linear relationship between the (net) retention volumes and the reciprocal values of the square roots of the peak heights.
KeywordsPhthalate Sorbate Silanol Group Retention Volume Adsorption Exchange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. G. Belen'ky, I. D. Turkova, N. M. Geller, V. A. Kropachev, N. N. Chernyshkov, in: Sintez, struktura i svoistva polimerov (Synthesis, structure and Properties of Polymers), “Nauka”, Leningrad, 1970, p. 66.Google Scholar
- V. G. Berezkin, V. P. Pakhomov, K. I. Sakodyaskii, Tverdye nositeli v gasovoi khromatografii (The Solid Supports in Gas Chromatography), “Khimiya”, Moskow, 1975; p. 130.Google Scholar
- V. G. Berezkin, V. P. Pakhomov, V. S. Tatarinskii, V. M. Fateeva, Dokl. Akad. Nauk S.S.S.R180, 1135. (1968).Google Scholar
- V.G. Berezkin, in: Uspekhi khromatografii (Advances in Chromatography), ed. byK. V. Chmutov andK. I. Sakodynskii, “Nauka’, Moscow, 1972; p. 215.Google Scholar
- J. C. Giddings, Anal. Chem.34, 459 (1962).Google Scholar
- W. J. Baker, E. N. Lee, R. F. Wall, in Gas Chromatography (1959) Lansing Symposium)o, ed. byH. J. Noebels, N. Brenner andR. F. Wall, Academic Press, New York, 1961; p. 21.Google Scholar
- N. C. Saha, J. C. Giddings, Anal. Chem.37, 882 (1965).Google Scholar