Effect of leaf leachates ofPolyalthia longifolia on the growth and nitrogen fixation ofAzolla pinnata
- 18 Downloads
Leachates of leaves of different age ofPolyalthia longifolia showed different activities on growth ofAzolla.
The leachate of juvenile leaves showed the highest promotion as undiluted extract, in contract to the effects of leachates of mature and senescent leaves which had this effect when four times diluted.
The growth and nitrogen concent ofAzolla were highest in October at all treatments, particularly at the treatment with four times diluted leachates from senescent leaves.
The lowest growth rates ofAzolla due to different treatments were found in winter and in summer.
KeywordsNitrogen Growth Rate Nitrogen Fixation Lower Growth Lower Growth Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARENS, K., 1934. Die Kutikulare Excretion der Laubblatter, Jahrb. Wiss. Bot., 80: 248–300.Google Scholar
- ARNON, D.I., 1949. Copper enzyme in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase inBeta vulgaris, Plant Physiol., 24: 1–15.Google Scholar
- CHOLODNY, N., 1932. Zur Kenntnis der durch das regenerische Wetter verursachten Ertragsabnahme bei Getreidearten. Ber. Deutsch. Bot. Ges., 50: 562–572.Google Scholar
- CROWE, A.F. and A. CROWE, 1969. Mathematics for Biologists. Academic Press, London, New York.Google Scholar
- DALBRO, S., 1955. Leaching of nutrients from apple foliage. Proc. Internat. Hort. Congr., XIV: 770–778.Google Scholar
- DEL MOREL, R. and C.H. MULLER, 1969. Fog drip: a mechanism of toxin transport forEucalyptus globultus. Bull. Torrey Botan Club., 96: 467–475.Google Scholar
- DEL MOREL, R., R.J. WILLIS and D.H. ASHTON, 1978. Suppression of coastal heath vegetation byEucalyptus baxteria. Aust. J. Bot., 26: 203–220.Google Scholar
- FAY, P., W.D.P. STEWART, A.E. WALSBY and G.E. FOGG, 1968. Is the heterocysts the site of nitrogen fixation in blue-green algae? Nature, Lond., 220: 810–812.Google Scholar
- LEITH, H., 1965. Indirect methods of measurement of dry matter production. Methodology of plant eco-physiology. Proceed. Montpelliar Symp. UNESCO. Paris, p. 513–518.Google Scholar
- MECKLENBURG, R.A., H.B. TUKEY, Jr., 1963. Uptake by the root and subsequent distribution within the potato plant of strontium-89 leached from the foliage. Nature, 198: 562–563.Google Scholar
- MECKENBURG, R.A., H.B. TUKEY, Jr. and J.V. MORGAN, 1966. A mechanism for leaching of calcium from foliage. Plant Physiol., 41: 610–613.Google Scholar
- MES, M.G., 1954. Excretion (recretion) of phosphorus and the other mineral elements under the influence of rain. S. Afr. J. Sci. 50: 167–172.Google Scholar
- MOORE, A.W., 1969. Azolla: Biology and agronomic significance. Bot. Rev., 35: 17–34.Google Scholar
- PAL, J. and D.P. KUSHARI, 1980. Seasonal variation in the productivity ofAzolla pinnata R. Br. Proc. 3rd. Ind. Bot. conf. of the Indian Botanical Society.Google Scholar
- PANSE, V.G. and P.T. SUKHATME, 1978. Statistical methods for agricultural workers. 3rd. ed., Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, p. 97–128.Google Scholar
- SCHOH, K., 1955. Erfassung der Kutikularen Rekretion von K and Ca. Ber. Schweiz. Bot. Ges., 65: 205–250.Google Scholar
- STENLID, G., 1958. Salt losses and redistribution of salts in higher plants. Encycl. Plant Physiol., 4: 615–637.Google Scholar
- TUKEY, H.B., Jr., H.B. TKEY, Sr. and S.H. WITTWER, 1958. Loss of nutrients by foliar leaching as determined by radioisotopes. Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 71: 496–506.Google Scholar
- TUKEY, H.B., Jr. and H.B. TUKEY, Sr., 1962. The loss of organic and inorganic materials by leaching from leaves and other above ground plant parts. In: Radio-isotopes in soil plant nutrition studies. A.I.E.A., Vienna, p. 289–302.Google Scholar
- TUKEY, H.B., Jr. and R.A. MECKLENBURG, 1964. Leaching of metabolites from foliage, subsequent reabsorption and redistribution of the leachate in plants. Ann. Bot., 51: 737–743.Google Scholar
- VENKATRAMAN, G.S., 1972. Algal biofertilizer and rice cultivation. Today and Tomorrow's printers and Publishers, Faridabad (India).Google Scholar
- VOGEL, A.I., 1961. A text book of quantitative inorganic analysis. Longman's Green and Co. Ltd.Google Scholar