This paper demonstrates that Shamir's scheme  is not secure against certain forms of cheating. A small modification to his scheme retains the security and efficiency of the original, is secure against these forms of cheating, and preserves the property that its security does not depend on any unproven assumptions such as the intractability of computing number-theoretic functions.
Key wordsSecret sharing Cheating Security Interpolation Reconstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. M. Adleman and M.-D. A. Huang, Recognizing primes in random polynomial time,Proc. 19th Annual ACM Symp. Theory Comput., pp. 462–469, May 1987.Google Scholar
- A. V. Aho, J. E. Hopcroft, and J. D. Ullman,The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1974.Google Scholar
- J. C. Benaloh, Secret sharing homomorphisms: keeping shares of a secret secret,Advances in Cryptology—CRYPTO '86, pp. 251–260, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 263, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.Google Scholar
- B. Chor, S. Goldwasser, S. Micali, and B. Awerbuch, Verifiable secret sharing and achieving simultaneity in the presence of faults,Proc. 26th Symp. Found. Comp. Sci., pp. 383–395, October 1985.Google Scholar
- P. Feldman, A practical scheme for noninteractive verifiable secret sharing,Proc. 28th Symp. Found. Comp. Sci., pp. 427–437, October 1987.Google Scholar
- O. Goldreich, S. Micali, and A. Wigderson, How to prove all NP statements in zero-knowledge and a methodology of cryptographic protocol design,Advances in Cryptology—CRYPTO '86, pp. 171–185, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 263, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.Google Scholar
- S. Goldwasser, S. Micali, and R. L. Rivest, A “paradoxical” solution to the signature problem,Proc. 25th Symp. Found. Comp. Sci., pp. 441–448, October 1984.Google Scholar
- J.D. Lipson,Elements of Algebra and Algebraic Computing, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1981.Google Scholar
- M. O. Rabin, Randomized Byzantine generals,Proc. 24th Symp. Found. Comp. Sci., pp. 403–409, November 1983.Google Scholar
- A. Shamir, How to share a secret,Comm. ACM,22(11): 612–613, November 1979.Google Scholar