5-HT1A receptor agonists prevent in rats the yawning and penile erections induced by direct dopamine agonists
- 21 Downloads
The new compound (+) S-20499, an amino chromane derivative (8[-4[N-(5-methoxychromane-3yl)N-propyl]aminobutyl] azaspiro[4–5] décane-7,9 dione), is a high affinity full 5-HT1A agonist. We have investigated its effects on dopaminergic transmission. (+) S-20499 displayed a 10−8 M affinity for D2 dopamine (DA) receptors, 100 fold lower than for 5-HT1A receptors. The hypothermic effect of the drug was reversed by haloperidol in mice, suggesting that it behaves as a direct dopamine agonist. However, increasing doses of (+) S-20499 induced neither yawning nor penile erections, which constitute characteristic responses of direct DA agonists administered at low doses. In addition, (+) S-20499 prevented the apomorphine (100 µg/kg SC) induced yawning and penile erections. This inhibition appears to result from the stimulation of 5-HT1A receptors since it is an effect shared by both buspirone (from 5 mg/kg) and 8-OH-DPAT (from 0.10 mg/kg). In addition, when rats are treated with the 5-HT1A receptor antagonist tertatolol (2–5 mg/kg; SC), increasing doses of (+) S-20499 elicit the expected yawns and penile erections. It is concluded that the 5-HT1A agonist property opposes to that of D2 dopamine receptor stimulation with regard to yawning and penile erections.
Key wordsYawning Penile erections (+) S-20499 5-HT1A agonists D2 receptors Apomorphine Rat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berendsen HHG, Jenck F, Broekkamp CLE (1990) Involvement of 5-HT1C-receptors in drug-induced penile erections in rats. Psychopharmacology 101:57–61Google Scholar
- Costentin J, Protais P, Schwartz JC (1975) Rapid and dissociated changes in sensitivities of different dopamine receptors in mouse brain. Nature 66:207–215Google Scholar
- Hamon M (1991) 5-HT1 receptor subtypes — pharmacological heterogeneity. Abstracts of International Academy for Biomedical and Drug Research, Montecarlo, Principauté de Monaco, June 1991Google Scholar
- Lanfumey L, Haj-Dahmane S, Gozlan H, Fattaccini CM, Guillaumet G, Guardiola B, Hamon M 5-HT1A agonist properties of the two enantiomers of a new chroman derivative S-20244. Poster 3 (Serotonin 91 — Birmingham — 14–17th July 91)Google Scholar
- Moore NA, Sanger G, Rees G (1991) The roles of D2 dopamine receptors in 8-OH-DPAT-induced hypothermia in the mouse. Poster 60 (Serotonin 91 — Birmingham — 14–17th July 91).Google Scholar
- New JS (1990) The discovery and development of buspirone: a new approach to the treatment of anxiety. Med Res Rev 103:283–326Google Scholar