Histologic and functional alterations of human exocrine pancreas in Manson's schistosomiasis
- 22 Downloads
The exocrine pancreas of 20 patients with the hepatosplenic form of Manson's schistosomiasis and portal hypertension was examined. Surgical biopsies taken from the tail of the pancreatic gland during splenectomy and splenorenal shunts were examined histologically. Studied by the secretin test, peak bicarbonate concentrations in 16 of the 20 patients were below the lower critical statistical level; in 14 patients, marked histopathologic changes were found in the exocrine pancreas.
KeywordsHypertension Bicarbonate Statistical Level Portal Hypertension Secretin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Koppisch E: Studies onSchistosomiasis Mansoni in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico J Pub Health Trop Med 16:395, 1941Google Scholar
- 4.Saleh SA: Pathology of intestine and pancreatic Bilharziasis, Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Bilharziasis. 2:7, 1962Google Scholar
- 5.Fikry ME, Aboul-Wafa MH: Pancreatic functions in Bilharzial hepatic fibrosis. Alexandria Med J 8:572, 1962Google Scholar
- 7.Neves DP, Honda S: Valor diagnóstico da prova da secretina na pancreatite crônica. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 18:169, 1962Google Scholar
- 8.Friedman SM, Friedman CL: The effect of low-protein diet on the structure of the pancreas. Can Med Assoc J 55:15, 1946Google Scholar
- 10.Lindsay S, Entenman C, Chaikoff IL: Pancreatitis accompanying hepatic disease in dogs fed with a high fat, low protein diet. Arch Pathol 45:635, 1948Google Scholar
- 11.Neves DP: Aspectos histológicos e bioquímicos do pâncreas do rato (Rattus norvegicus, var albino), na carência protêica experimental. Tese de Doutoramento Fac Med Univ S Paulo. São Paulo, 1960Google Scholar