How and how not to check Gaussian quadrature formulae
- 92 Downloads
We discuss characteristic difficulties inherent in the validation of Gaussian quadrature formulae, in particular the futility of moment-related tests. We propose instead more effective tests based on the recursion coefficients of the appropriate orthogonal polynomials and on the sum of the quadrature nodes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. D. Crary,A versatile precompiler for nonstandard arithmetics, ACM Trans. Mathematical Software 5 (1979), 204–217.Google Scholar
- 2.J. J. Dongarra et al.,LINPACK User's Guide, SIAM, Philadelphia (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.W. Gautschi,On generating orthogonal polynomials, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 3 (1982), 289–317.Google Scholar
- 4.R. G. Gordon,Error bounds in equilibrium statistical mechanics, J. Mathematical Phys. 9 (1968), 655–663.Google Scholar
- 5.Soo-Y. Lee,The inhomogeneous Airy functions Gi(z)and Hi(z), J. Chem. Phys. 72 (1980), 332–336.Google Scholar