Adverse effects of imidocarb dipropionate (Imizol®) in a dog
- 164 Downloads
One of 13 healthy dogs used in a pharmacokinetic study of imidocarb dipropionate died due to difficulty in breathing, tachycardia, weakness and profuse diarrhoea. Autopsy findings showed marked pulmonary congestion and oedema. Kidneys were grossly enlarged and markedly congested with extensive haemorrhage in the cortex and medulla. Marked tubulonephrosis was also exhibited microscopically. Liver and spleen were moderately enlarged and congested. The adverse effects of imidocarb may be due to excessive acetylcholine action.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, L.G., Corrier, D.E. and William, J.D., 1980. A study of the toxicity of imidocarb dipropionate in cattle.Res. Vet. Sci., 28: 172–177.Google Scholar
- Brown, C.G.D. and Berger, J., 1970. Chemotherapy of experimentalBabesia bigemina infections with imidocarb dihydrochloride.Trop. Anim Health Prod. 2: 196–203.Google Scholar
- Callow, L.L. and McGregor, W., 1970. The effect of imidocarb againstBabesia argentina andBabesia bigemina infections in cattle.Aust. Vet. J., 46: 195–200.Google Scholar
- Carbredy, E.A., Avery, R.J., Knowles, R.C. and Sash, S.C., 1971. Chemotherapy of equine babesiosis.J. Am. Vet. Med. Ass., 159: 1538–1545.Google Scholar
- Corrier, D.E. and Adams, L.G., 1976. Clinical, histologic and histo-chemical study of imidocarb dipropionate toxicosis in goats. Am. J. Vet. Res.37: 811–816.Google Scholar
- Frerichs, W.M., Allen, P.C. and Holbrook, A.A., 1973. Equine piroplasmosis (Babesia equi): Therapeutic trials of imidocarb dihydrochloride in horses and donkeys. Vet. Rec.93: 73–75.Google Scholar
- Johnston, C.D., Hazleton, L.W., 1955. Normal blood cholinesterase activity in several animal species, including domestic fowls.Fed.Proc. 14: 355.Google Scholar
- Roberson, E.L., 1977. Antiprotozoan drugs. In: L.M. Jones, N.H. Booth and L.E. McDonald (Editors), Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA, pp. 1079–1103.Google Scholar
- Uilenberg, G., Verdiesen, P.A.H.M. and Zwart, D., 1981. Imidocarb: A chemoprophylactic experiment withBabesia canis. The Vet. Quarterly.3, 118–123.Google Scholar
- Willis, J.H., 1972. The measurement and significance of changes in the cholinesterase activities of erythrocytes and plasma in man and animalsCrit. Rev. Tox. 1: 153–202.Google Scholar
- Wood, J.C., 1971. The activity of imidocarb against babesia infection of cattle.Irish Vet. J. 25: 154–257.Google Scholar