Detection of antibodies to 65 KD heat shock protein and to human superoxide dismutase in autoimmune hepatitis-molecular mimicry between 65 KD heat shock protein and superoxide dismutase
- 19 Downloads
The antibody to 65 KD mycobacterial heat shock protein (HSP65) and antibody to human superoxide dismutase (H-SOD) were measured by ELISA in patients with autoimmune hepatitis (AIH), and results were compared with those of patients with chronic active hepatitis C (CAH-C) or systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and normal subjects (NS). Patients with AIH had significantly higher OD values of anti-HSP65 antibody and anti-H-SOD antibody compared with those of patients with CAH-C or SLE and NS. OD values of anti-HSP65 antibody were correlated with those of anti-SOD antibody. Affinity-purified anti-SOD antibody reacted with HSP65. Analysis of the amino acid sequence of human SOD showed that 7 segments, corresponding to r to 25 amino acid residues, exhibited 50 to 71% homology with that of mycobacterial HSP65.
Key wordsAutoimmune Hepatitis Mycobacterial 65 KD Heat Shock Protein Superoxide Dismutase Human 60 KD Heat Shock Protein Molecular Mimicry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Homberg, J.C., Abuaf, N., Bernard, O., Islam, S., Alvarez, F., Khalil, S.H. Poupon, R., Darnis, F., Levy, V.G., Grippon, P., Opolon, P., Bernuau, J., Benhamou, J.P., Alagille, D. Chronic active hepatitis associated with antiliver/kidney microsome antibody type 1: a second type of “autoimmune” hepatitis. Hepatology 1987, 7, 1333–1339.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ikeda, Y., Toda, G., Hashimoto, N., Kurokawa, K. Antibody to superoxide dismutase, autoimmune hepatitis, and antibody tests for hepatitis C virus. Lancet 1990, 335, 1345–1346.Google Scholar
- 5.Barra, D., Schnina, M., Simmaco, M., Bannister, J.V., Bannister, W.H., Rotilio, G., Bossa, F. The primary structure of human liver manganase superoxide dismutase. J Biocommun 1984, 259, 12595–12601.Google Scholar
- 7.Ishiyama, N., Katayama, K., Ishima, N., Takahashi, S., Igarashi, H., Nakajima, H., Saito, S., Aoyagi, T., Andoh, T., Oya, A. Quantitative detection of hepatitis C virus RNA by multicyclic RT-PCR. Int Hepatol Commun 1993, I, 72–79.Google Scholar
- 9.Nomaguchi, H., Matsuoka, M., Kohsaka, K., Nakata, A., Ito, T. Overproduction, affinity purification and characterization of 65kDa protein ofMycobacterium leprae inEscherichia coli. Jpn J Lepr 1989, 57, 817–824.Google Scholar
- 13.de Graeff-Meeder, E.R., Voorhost, M., van Eden, W., Schuurman, H.J., Huber, J. Barkley, D., Maini, R.N., Kuis, W., Rijkers, G.T., Zegers, B.J. Antibodies to the mycobacterial 65-Kd heat shock protein are reactive with synovial tissue of adjuvant arthritis rats and patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Am J Pathol 1990, 137, 1013–1017.PubMedGoogle Scholar