Antiphospholipid antibodies in mixed connective tissue disease
- 22 Downloads
We studied the prevalence and clinical significance of antiphospholipid antibodies (ab) in 28 patients affected with well-defined mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD). Forty-two patients affected with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and 60 healthy subjects were also evaluated, as controls. In MCTD the prevalence of anticardiolipin (aCL) ab was: IgG high level 17.8% (p<0.01 versus healthy controls), IgG low level 7.1% and IgM high level 7.1%. No patients had low level of aCL IgM, lupus anticoagulant or false positive VDRL. The aCL profile was similar to that found in SLE patients, but in SLE all prevalences were higher than in MCTD. Furthermore, in MCTD patients the aCL ab were correlated with thrombocytopenia but not with recurrent thrombosis and/or abortions.
Key wordsMixed Connective Tissue Disease Antiphospholipid Antibodies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hughes, G.R.V. Thrombosis abortion, cerebral disease and the lupus anticoagulant. Br Med J 1983, 287, 1088–1089.Google Scholar
- 2.Alarçon-Segovia, D., Deleze, M., Oria, C.B., Sanchez-Guerrero, J., Gomez-Pacheco, L., Cabiedes, J., Fernandez, L., Ponce de Leon, S. Antiphospholipid antibodies and the antiphospholipid syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus: a review of 500 cases. Medicine 1989, 68, 358–365.Google Scholar
- 3.Harris, E.N., Gharavi, A.E., Hughes, G.R.V. Antiphospholipid antibodies. Clin Rheum Dis 1985, 11, 591–609.Google Scholar
- 4.Ruffatti, A., Rossi, L., Calligaro, A., Del Ross, T., Lagni, M., Marson, P., Todesco, S. Autoantibodies of systemic rheumatic diseases in healthy elderly. Gerontology 1990, 36, 104–111.Google Scholar
- 5.Keane, A., Woods, R., Dowding, V., Roden, D., Barry, C. Anticardiolipin antibodies in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 1987, 26, 346–350.Google Scholar
- 6.Bamberga, P., Asero, R., Vismara, A., Brucato, A., Riboldi, P., Meroni, P.L. Anti-cardiolipin antibodies in progressive systemic sclerosis (PSS). Clin Exp Rheumatol 1987, 5, 387–392.Google Scholar
- 7.Thiagarajan, P., Pengo, V., Shapiro, S.S. The use of the dilute Russell viper venom time for the diagnosis of lupus anti coagulants. Blood 1986, 4, 869–874.Google Scholar
- 8.Gharavi, A.E., Harris, E.N., Asherson, R.A., Hughes, G.R.V. Anticardiolipin antibodies: Isotype distribution and phospholipid specificity. Ann Rheum Dis 1987, 46, 1–6.Google Scholar
- 9.Bunn, C.C., Gharavi, A.E., Hughes, G.R.V. Antibodies to extractable nuclear antigens in 173 patients with DNA binding positive SLE: an association between antibodies to ribonucleoprotein and Sm antigen observed by counterimmunoelectrophoresis. Clin Lab Immunol 1982, 8, 13–17.Google Scholar
- 10.Doria, A., Ruffatti, A., De Micheli, S., Calligaro, A., Rossi, L., Rosada, M., Gambari, P.F. Prevalence and clinical significance of antiphospholipid antibodies in mixed connective tissue disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1990, 8, 213.Google Scholar