A Gauss-Seidel type solver for special convex programs, with application to frictional contact mechanics
- 127 Downloads
An iterative method is described that solves the constrained minimization of a convex function, when the constraintsgj(x1,...,xn)≤0 are functions of only a few variables and can be partitioned in some way. A proof of convergence is given which is based on the fact that the function values that are generated decrease. The relation to the nonlinear equation solver TanGS is shown (Ref. 1), together with some new results for TanGS. Finally, the solver is applied to the solution of tangential traction in contact mechanics.
Key WordsConvex minimization Gauss-Seidel method decomposition method contact mechanics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vollebregt, E. A. H., Kalker, J. J., andLin, H. X.,A Fast Solver for Normal and Tangential Contact Mechanics in the Half-Space, Contact Mechanics, Computational Techniques, Edited by M. Aliabadi and C. Brebbia, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, England, pp. 235–242, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.Kalker, J. J.,Three-Dimensional Elastic Bodies in Rolling Contact, Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Holland, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.Ortega, J., andRheinboldt, W.,Local and Global Convergence of Generalized Linear Iterations, Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Problems, Edited by J. Ortega and W. Rheinboldt, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, pp. 122–143, 1970.Google Scholar
- 6.Kuhn, H. W., andTucker, A. W.,Nonlinear Programming, Proceedings of the 2nd Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, University of California Press, Berkeley, California, pp. 481–493, 1951.Google Scholar
- 7.McCormick, G. P.,Nonlinear Programming: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Bazaraa, M. S., Sheraly, andShetty, C. M.,Nonlinear Programming: Theory and Algorithms, Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.Young, D. M.,Iterative Solution of Large Linear Systems, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1971.Google Scholar