Side effects in excimer corneal surgery
- 84 Downloads
Thermal loading is a significant side effect during excimer laser surgery of the cornea. The maximal temperature rise, which is dependent on fluence and repetition rate of the radiation, amounts to 20° C in excised corneas and 7.5° C in the in situ cornea. The temperature decreases exponentially with increasing distance from the incision with a half-value distance of 610 ± 100 μm. Exposure parameters are recommended to avoid temperature rises greater than 11° C.
KeywordsPublic Health Radiation Temperature Rise Repetition Rate Thermal Loading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dyer P, Sidhu J (1985) Excimer laser ablation and thermal coupling efficiency to polymer films. J Appl Phys 57:1420–1422Google Scholar
- 2.Ito T, Ito A, Hieda K, Kobayashi K (1983) Wavelength dependence of inactivation and membrane damage toSaccharomyces cerevisiae cells by monochromatic synchrotron vacuum — UV radiation (145–190 nm). Radiat Res 96:532–548Google Scholar
- 3.Krueger R, Trokel S, Schubert H (1985) Interaction of ultraviolet laser light with the cornea. Invest Ophthalmol 26:1455–1464Google Scholar
- 4.Lewis M, Dubin M, Aandahl V (1967) The physical properties of bovine corneal collagen. Exp Eye Res 6:57–69Google Scholar
- 5.Marshall J, Trokel S, Rothery S, Schubert H (1985) An ultrastructural study of corneal incisions induced by an excimer laser at 193 nm. Ophthalmology 92:749–758Google Scholar
- 6.Seiler T, Wollensak J (1986) In vivo experiments with the excimer laser — technical parameters and healing processes. Ophthalmologica 192:65–70Google Scholar
- 7.Sliney D (1985) Laser-tissue interactions. Clin Chest Med 6:203–208Google Scholar
- 8.Srinivasan R, Leigh W (1982) Ablative photodecomposition: action of far-ultraviolet (193 nm) laser radiation on poly (-ethylene terephthalate-) films. J Am Chem Soc 104:6784–6789Google Scholar
- 9.Srinivasan R, Dyer P, Braren B (1985) Far-UV laser ablation of cornea: photoacoustic studies. IBM Report, Life Sci RC 11620 (no. 52044)Google Scholar
- 10.Trokel S, Srinivasan R, Braren B (1983) Excimer laser surgery of the cornea. Am J Ophthalmol 96:710–715Google Scholar