Isolation and characterization of four new placental tissue proteins (PP18, PP19, PP20, PP21)
- 43 Downloads
Four new soluble placental tissue proteins (PP18, PP19, PP20; PP21) have been isolated to purity from saline extracts of human term placentas. Two of the new proteins appear to be partly associated with placental membranes; they also could be detected in placental protein fractions obtained by extracting the insoluble part of the placental tissue with solubilizing agents after the soluble material had been removed by washing with saline.
The new placental proteins were characterized by their physical properties as well as by their carbohydrate and aminoacid compositions.
Specific antisera to the new proteins were obtained by immunizing animals with the corresponding purified proteins. They were used to detect and quantitate the new proteins in extracts of placentas and other human tissues by immunochemical methods.
From one human term placenta an average of 2 mg PP18, 90 mg PP19, 0.5 mg PP20, and around 7 mg PP21 could be extracted. None of these new proteins is specific to the placenta; they also were found to occur in extracts of certain other human tissues. The immunohistochemical localization of these proteins as well as measurement of their concentrations in body fluids by sensitive radioimmunoassays are presently under investigation.
Key wordsPlacental tissue proteins PP18, PP19, PP20, and PP21 Isolation Physical and chemical characterization Immunochemical quantitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Axen R, Porath J, Ernback S (1967) Chemical coupling of peptides and proteins to polysaccharides by means of cyanogen halides. Nature 214: 1302–1304Google Scholar
- 2.Bohn H (1979) Placental and pregnancy proteins. In: Lehmann F-G (ed) Carcinoembryonic proteins. Chemistry, biology, clinical application, Vol 1. Elsevier Biochemical Press, Amsterdam, pp 289–299Google Scholar
- 3.Bohn K, Kraus W, Winckler W (1982) New soluble placental tissue proteins. In: Klopper A (ed) Immunology of human placental proteins. Placenta [Suppl] 4:67–81Google Scholar
- 6.Bohn H, Kraus W, Winckler W (1983) Purification and characterization of two new soluble placental tissue proteins (PP13 and PP17). Oncodev Biol Med 4: 343–350Google Scholar
- 5.Bohn H, Kraus W, Winckler W (1984) Isolation and characterization of two membrane-associated placental tissue proteins. Arch Gynecol (in press)Google Scholar