A simple test using restricted PCR-amplified mitochondrial DNA to study the genetic structure ofApis mellifera L
- 434 Downloads
The COI-COII intergenic region ofApis mellifera mitochondrial DNA contains an important length polymorphism based on a variable number of copies of a 192–196 bp sequence (Q) and the completer or partial deletion of 67 pb sequence (Po). This length variability has been combined with a restriction site polymorphism to produce a rapid and simple test for the characterization of mtDNA haplotypes. This test included the amplification by the polymerase chain reaction of the COI-COII region followed by aDraI restriction of the amplified fragment. In a survey of 302 colonies belonging to 12 subspecies, 21 different haplotypes have been found which have been unambiguously allocated to one of the 3 mtDNA lineages of the species. Although all colonies of lineage C exhibit the same pattern (C1), each one of lineages A and M presents up to 10 different haplotypes, opening the way to studies on the genetic structure and the evolution of a large fraction of the species. This test also differentiates southern Spanish and South African colonies, which can be of great interest for the Africanized bee problem.
Key wordsApis mellifera honeybee mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment length polymorphism DraI polymerase chain reaction COI-COII intergenic region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cornuet, J. M., and Garnery, L., Apidologie22 (1991) 627.Google Scholar
- 4.Smith, D. R., in: Diversity in the genusApis, p. 131. Ed. D. R. Smith. Westview Press, Boulder-San Francisco-Oxford 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.Smith, D. R., and Brown, W. M., Ann. ent. Soc. Am.83 (1990) 81.Google Scholar
- 9.Cornuet, J. M., Garnery, L., and Solignac, M., Genetics1128 (1991) 393.Google Scholar
- 10.Garnery, L., Vautrin, D., Cornuet, J. M., and Solignac, M., Apidologie22 (1991) 87.Google Scholar
- 12.Lebdigrissa, K., Masadda, K., Cornuet, J. M., and Fresnaye, J., Landbouwtijdschrift44 (1991) 1231.Google Scholar
- 13.Cornuet, J. M., unpubl. data.Google Scholar
- 14.Taylor, O. R., Bee Wld58 (1977) 19.Google Scholar