The effect of lithium chloride on the replication ofHerpes simplex virus
- 75 Downloads
Lithium chloride inhibited the replication of type 1 and type 2Herpes simplex virus at concentrations which permitted host cell replication. Virus polypeptide and antigen synthesis were unaffected while viral DNA synthesis was inhibited. The replication of two other DNA viruses, pseudorabies and vaccinia virus, was inhibited but there was no inhibition of two RNA viruses, namely, EMC and influenza virus.
KeywordsChloride Lithium Influenza Polypeptide Host Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cade, J.J.: Lithium salts in the treatment of psychotic excitement. Med. J. Aust.2, 349–352 (1949)Google Scholar
- Corcoran, A.C., Taylor, R.D., Page, I.H.: Lithium poisoning from the use of salt substitute. J. Am. Med. Assoc.139, 685–688 (1949)Google Scholar
- Flamm, W.G., Bond, H.E., Burr, H.E.: Density gradient centrifugation of DNA in a fixed angle rotor: a higher order of resolution. Biochim. Biophys. Acta129, 310–317 (1966)Google Scholar
- Garrod, A.B.: “Gout and rheumatic gout”. London: Walton and Maberley 1859Google Scholar
- Hadley, P., Delves, E., Klimek, J.: The filterable forms of bacteria: a filterable stage in the life history of the Shiga dysentery bacillus. J. Inf. Diseases48, 1–159 (1931)Google Scholar
- Hanlon, L.W., Romaine, M., Gilroy, F.D., Dietrick, J.E.: Lithium chloride as a substitute for sodium chloride in the diet. J. Am. Med. Assoc.139, 688–692 (1949)Google Scholar
- Hartigan, G.P.: The use of lithium salts in effective disorders. Br. J. Psychiat.109, 810–814 (1963)Google Scholar
- Mantyjarvi, R., Russell, W.C.: Studies on DNA synthesis in cells infected with adenovirus. J. Gen. Virol.5, 339–350 (1969)Google Scholar
- Morishita, H., Takada, H.: Sparing effect of the lithium ion on the specific requirement for sodium ion for growth ofVibrio parahaemolyticus. Canad. J. Microbiol.22, 1263–1268 (1976)Google Scholar
- Stern, R.L.: Severe lithium chloride poisoning with complete recovery. J. Am. Med. Assoc.139, 710–711 (1949)Google Scholar
- Turkington, R.W.: Caton inhibition of DNA synthesis in mammary epithelial cells in vitro. Experimentia24, 226–228 (1968)Google Scholar