A comparison of CCS tandem overload controls
- 17 Downloads
In this paper we analyse issues associated with overloads in tandem switching systems in Common Channel Signalling (CCS) networks. In particular, we examine the need for, and effectiveness of, Automatic Congestion Control (ACC), a CCS mechanism which allows a congested switching system to inform adjacent CCS nodes of its level of overload, and subsequently controls the rate at which traffic is sent to the congested node. We demonstrate the critical need for end-offices and tandem switching systems to implement some form of ACC if network performance is to be maintained during congestion, especially in tandem exchanges. In addition, we find that the presently defined ACC should be expanded to allow more levels of congestion to be reported to adjacent nodes, so that a more effective, finer grained control is produced.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Atai, A new dynamic SCP-based congestion control scheme for media stimulated mass calling events, Bellcore TM-24250 (July 1994).Google Scholar
- Bellcore, Bell communications research specification of signalling system number 7, GR-246-CORE, Issue 1, Volumes 1, 2 and 3 (December 1994 and subsequent revisions).Google Scholar
- Bellcore, Switching system requirements for call control using the integrated services digital network user part (ISDNUP), GR-317-CORE, Issue 1 (February 1994 and subsequent revisions).Google Scholar
- Bellcore, Signalling transfer point (STP) generic requirements, GR-82-CORE, Issue 1 (June 1994 and subsequent revisions).Google Scholar
- CCITT-Blue Book, Specification of signalling system number 7, Recommendations Q.724, Q.764 and Q.542 (1988).Google Scholar
- L. Forys, Performance analysis of a new overload strategy,Proc. 10th Int. Teletraffic Congress, Montreal, Canada (1983).Google Scholar
- D.J. Houck, K.S. Meier-Hellstern, F. Saheban and R.A. Skoog, Failure and propagation through signalling controls,Proc. 14th Int. Teletraffic Congress, Antibes, France (1994).Google Scholar
- U. Körner, Overload control of SPC Systems,Proc. 13th Int. Teletraffic Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark (1991).Google Scholar
- D.R. Manfield, G. Millsteed and M. Zukerman, M, Congestion Controls in SS7 Signalling Networks, IEEE Commun. Mag. (June 1993).Google Scholar
- M.P. Rumsewicz, Analysis of the effects of SS7 message discard on call completion rates during overload, IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking 1(4)(1993).Google Scholar
- M.P. Rumsewicz, On the real-time determination of mass call-ins during SCP overloads, SERC Technical Report 3 (April 1995).Google Scholar
- D.E. Smith, Preventing release message avalanches in common channel signalling networks,Proc. 14th Int. Teletraffic Congress, Antibes, France (1994).Google Scholar