Evaluation of a commercial rRNA target amplification assay for detection ofMycobacterium tuberculosis complex in respiratory specimens
- 20 Downloads
Seventy-one respiratory samples were analyzed in a new commercially available target rRNA amplification assay aimed at detectingMycobacterium tuberculosis complex directly in patient specimens. The assay (Gen-Probe Amplified Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Direct Test) correctly identified 26 of 27 samples positive forMycobacterium tuberculosis and 43 of 44 samples negative forMycobacterium tuberculosis in culture. When appropriate controls are performed, the assay also performs well with other specimens, such as tissue biopsies, lymph node or bone marrow aspirates and pleural and ascitic exudates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abe C, Hosojima S, Fukasawa Y, Kazumi Y, Tkahashi M, Hirano K, Mori T: Comparison of MB-Check, BACTEC, and egg-based media for recovery of mycobacteria. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1992, 30: 878–881.Google Scholar
- 2.Isenberg HD, D'Amato RF, Heifets L, Murray PR, Scadamaglia M, Jacobs MC, Alperstein P, Niles A: Collaborative feasibility study of a biphasic system (Roche Septi-Check AFB) for rapid detection and isolation of mycobacteria. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1991, 29: 1719–1722.Google Scholar
- 11.Noordhoek GT, Kolk AH, Bjune G, Catty D, Dale JW, Fine PEM, Godfrey-Faussett P, Cho SN, Shinnick T, Svenson SB, Wilson S, van Embden JDA: Sensitivity and specificity of PCR for detection ofMycobacterium tuberculosis: a blind comparison study among seven laboratories. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1994, 32: 277–284.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Silcox VA: Identification of mycobacteria. In: Isenberg HD (ed): Clinical microbiology procedures handbook. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, 1992, p. 3.11.1–3.11.11.Google Scholar
- 14.Abe C, Hirano Kg, Wada M, Kazumi Y, Takahashi M, Fukasawa Y, Yoshimura T, Miyagi C, Goto S: Detection ofMycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical specimens by polymerase chain reaction and Gen-Probe Amplified Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Direct Test. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1993, 31: 3270–3274.Google Scholar
- 15.Jonas V, Alden MJ, Curry JI, Kamisango K, Knott CA, Lankford R, Wolfe JM, Moore DF: Detection and identification ofMycobacterium tuberculosis directly from sputum sediments by amplification of rRNA. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1993, 31: 2410–2416.Google Scholar
- 16.Pfyffer GE, Kissling P, Wirth R, Weber R: Direct detection ofMycobacterium tuberculosis complex in respiratory specimens by a target-amplified test system. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1994, 32: 918–923.Google Scholar