The relation between seasonal birth variation and the season of the mother's birth
Seasonal birth variation was investigated in relation to the season of the mother's birth by examining: (1) 21,517 case records of a maternity hospital in Tokyo, Japan, for the period between 1925 and 1960 and (2) 2,348 questionnaires on mothers and their offsprings. In general, the birth rate was the lowest in the May-July season but mothers born in May-July of 1896 through 1915 and February-April of 1916 through 1935 had their births more evenly distributed throughout the year. The less season-sensitive mothers were more fertile than the others. The existence of some epidemic and immunogenic “seasonal infertile factors” is put forward as an explanation for these phenomena.
Key wordsSeason of birth Fertility by season of birth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doosono, S.: Statistical observations on month of human conceptions. Minzoku Eisei12, 79–86 (1944)Google Scholar
- Miura, T., Tamura, H., Shimura, M., Ogata, T.: The influence of the season of birth on preventive efficacy of the Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Jpn. J. Hyg.31, 520–524 (1976)Google Scholar
- Miura, T., Ogata, T., Ema, M.: An epidemiological study on the susceptibility of Japanese people to Japanese encephalitis virus infection by season of birth. Jpn. J. Hyg.32, 429–433 (1977)Google Scholar
- Miura, T., Shimura, M., Nakamura, I.: Jahreszeitliche Schwankungen von Menarche und Geburtsmonat in Japan. Ärztl. Jugendkd.70, 37–40 (1979)Google Scholar
- Peller, S., Zimmermann, I.: Über Faktoren, welche die Zeit der Erstmenstruation bestimmen. Zentralbl. Gynäkol.57, 2897–2909 (1933)Google Scholar
- Richter, J.: Zur Koinzidenz von Geburts- und Menarchemonat bei Görlitzer Mädchen. Acta Fac. Rerum Nat. Univ. Comenianae Anthropol.23, 225–232 (1976)Google Scholar
- Simell, G.: Über das Menarchealter in Finnland. Acta Paediatr. (Suppl.)84, 9–82 (1952)Google Scholar
- Udry, J. R., Morris, N. M.: Seasonality of coitus and seasonality of birth. Demography4, 673–679 (1967)Google Scholar
- Valsik J. A.: Dreißig Jahre Menarcheforschung. Acta Fac. Rerum Nat. Univ. Comenianae Anthropol.11, 325–342 (1966)Google Scholar