Influence ofNoctiluca's predation on theAcartia population in Ise Bay, central Japan
- 58 Downloads
The influence ofNoctiluca's predation on theAcartia population in Ise Bay was examined by taking samples at 27 stations once a month from May to December, 1974.
The copepod eggs were found inNoctiluca mainly in May and June. Considering from various spawning types of copepods, the eggs were presumed to beAcartia, the most numerous species of all copepods in the bay.Noctiluca was dominant plankton in May and June whenAcartia was abundantly distributed.Acartia eggs were found in 33.2–39.3% of individuals ofNoctiluca in May and June.Noctiluca was more frequently observed to contain one egg ofAcartia per individual. It was suggested that 55.0 eggs perAcartia female per day were eaten by theNoctiluca population in May wherease 3.5 eggs in June. It was deduced that 74% of the eggs produced byAcartia was preyed on byNoctiluca (about 5% in June). The predation byNoctiluca as well as that by the sand-eel must influence greatly to the production ofAcartia in the bay.
KeywordsCala Ocean Research Institute Dominant Copepod Pelagic Copepod Noctiluca Scintillans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chiba, T. (1956): Studies on the development and the systematics of copepods. J. Shimonoseki Coll. Fish.,6, 1–90 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Corkett, C.J. andE.J. Zillioux (1975): Studies on the effect of temperature on the eggs laying of three species of calanoid copepods in the laboratory (Acartia tonsa, Temora longicornis andPseudocalanus elongatus). Bull. Plankt. Soc. Japan,21, 77–86.Google Scholar
- Hanaoka, T. (1969): Species composition of the catches and the characteristics of the bay water. Inf. Coast. Oceanogr.,7, 24–27 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Hattori, S. (1962): Predatory activity ofNoctiluca on anchovy eggs. Bull. Tokai Reg. Fish. Res. Lab.,9, 211–220.Google Scholar
- Miyamura, M. andT. Sugino (1959): On the sand-eels (Ammodytes personatus Girard) in Ise Bay—1. Spawning ground, spawning season and immigration of the larvae. Bull. Ise-wan Reg. Fish. Res. Lab.,1, 1–9 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Petipa, T.S. (1960): The role ofNoctiluca milaris in the nutrition ofCalanus helgolandicus Cluas. Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR.,132, 961–963 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Sekiguchi, H. (1974): Relation between the ontogenetic vertical migration and the mandibular gnathobase in pelagic copepods. Bull. Fac. Fish., Mie Univ.,1, 1–10.Google Scholar
- Sekiguchi, H., M. Nagoshi, Y. Mori andY. Kato (1974): The feeding habits of larvae and juveniles of sand-eel,Ammodytes personatus, and anchovy,Engraulis japonica, in Ise Bay. Bull. Fac. Fish., Mie Univ.,1, 33–42 (in Japanese).Google Scholar