Determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin and chitosan by thermal analysis
- 158 Downloads
Several methods for the rapid determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin and related polymers have been evaluated, including the use of the infrared and the mass spectra.
Chitin and chitosan have characteristic degradation temperatures and it is possible to determine the acetylation degree by the use of empirical correlations based on the weight losses associated with the main decomposition peaks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. A. Rutherford, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Chitin/Chitosan, Ed. R. A. A. Muzzarelli and R. A. Pariser, 1978, p. 182.Google Scholar
- 2.R. A. A. Muzzarelli, Chitin, Pergamon Press, 1977, p. 105.Google Scholar
- 3.G. K. Moore, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Chitin/Chitosan, Ed. R. A. A. Muzzarelli and E. R. Pariser, 1978, p.421.Google Scholar
- 4.E. R. Hayes, ibid, p. 406.Google Scholar
- 5.I. Garcia Alonso, Informe Técnico-Ciéntéfico, N∘ 165, Academia de Ciencias de Cuba, 1981, pp. 11.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Peniche-Covas, Resúmenés del I Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Cubana de Química, 1982, pp. 172.Google Scholar