The sales of lottery tickets to minors in Illinois
- 35 Downloads
Fifty retail outlets were tested with a 16-year-old girl in eight central Illinois cities to determine the willingness of retail clerks to illegally sell a lottery ticket to a minor. A total of 49 establishments or 98% sold. In two instances the youth was denied access to cigarettes but sold a lottery ticket despite the sales of both to a minor under age 18 being illegal in Illinois. A very low cost method of correcting the problem is presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breslau, N., Fenn, N., & Peterson, E. (1993). Early smoking initiation and nicotine dependence in a cohort of young adults.Drug & Alcohol Dependence 33, 129–37.Google Scholar
- Community Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Improvement Act of 1992. Report 102-464, U.S. House of Representatives.Google Scholar
- Custer, R.L. (1982). An overview of compulsive gambling. In P.A. Carone, S.F. Yoles, S.N. Kieffer & L. Krinsky (Eds.),Addictive disorders update: Alcoholism, drug abuse, gambling (pp. 107–124). New York: Human Sciences Press.Google Scholar
- DiFranza, J.R. (1992). Reducing youth access to tobacco (Letter).Tobacco Control, 1, 58.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, D.F. (1987).Effects on children of parental excesses in gambling. Paper presented at the Seventh International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking, Reno, NV.Google Scholar
- Join Together (1993).Strategies to reduce underage access to alcohol and save lives in your community. Boston, Massachusetts: Department of Public Health, Boston University.Google Scholar
- Lesieur, H.R. & Klein, R. (1987).Pathological gambling among high school students. Addictive Behaviors, 12, 129–135.Google Scholar
- Livingston, J. (1974).Compulsive gamblers: Observations on action and abstinence. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- North American Gaming at a Glance (1993).Gambling and Wagering Business, 14, November 15-December 14, p. 6.Google Scholar
- Radecki, T.E. (1992).Alcohol sales to minors in 55 U.S. cities. Champaign, Illinois: Doctors & Lawyers for a Drug Free Youth.Google Scholar
- Radecki, T.E. (1993). Tobacco sales to minors in 97 U.S. and Canadian communities.Tobacco Control, December (In press).Google Scholar
- Robins, L.N., Przybeck, T.R. (1985). Age of onset of drug use as a factor in drug and other disorders. In C.L. Jones, & R.J. Battjes (Eds.).Etiology of Drug Abuse: Implications for Prevention. (pp 178–92). NIDA Research Monograph 56. US GPO, Washington, DC, DHHS Publication No (ADM) 85-1335.Google Scholar