Molecular evolution of bacteriophages: Discrete patterns of codon usage in T4 genes are related to the time of gene expression
- 58 Downloads
Patterns of codon usage in certain coliphages are adapted to expression inEscherichia coli. Bacteriophage T4 may be an exception to test the rule, as it produces eight tRNAs with specificities that are otherwise rare inE. coli. A database of all known T4 DNA sequences has been compiled, comprising 174 genes and a total of 115 kb (approximately 70% of the T4 genome). Codon usage has been examined in all T4 genes; some of these are known to be expressed before, and some after, the production of phage tRNAs. The results show two different patterns of codon usage: by comparison with the early genes, the late genes exhibit a shift in preference toward those codons recognized by the phage-encoded tRNAs. The T4 tRNAs translate A-ending codons, and it is possible that the phage acquired the tRNA genes because the mutation bias of the T4 DNA polymerase forces the T4 genome toward A+T-richness.
Key wordsTransfer RNAs Codon usage Bacteriophage T4
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gouy M, Gautier C, Attimonelli M, Lanave C, di Paola G (1985) ACNUC—a portable retrieval system for nucleic acid sequence databases: logical and physical designs and usage. CABIOS I:167–172Google Scholar
- Guttman B, Kutter E (1983) Overview: In: Mathews CK, Kutter EM, Mosig G, Berget PB (eds) Bacteriophage T4. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, pp 208–217Google Scholar
- Ikemura T, Ozeki H (1982) Codon usage and transfer RNA contents: organism-specific codon-choice patterns in reference to the isoacceptor contents. Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol 47:1087–1097Google Scholar
- Kimura M (1983) The neutral theory of molecular evolution. In: Nei M, Koehn RK (eds) Evolution of genes and proteins. Sinauer, Sunderland MA, pp 208–234Google Scholar
- Kutter E, Guttman B, Rueger W, Tomaschewski J (1987) Bacteriophage T4. In: O'Brien SJ (ed) Genetic maps 1987, vol 4. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor NY, pp 22–37Google Scholar
- Mathews CK, Kutter EM, Mosig G, Berget PB (eds) (1983) Bacteriophage T4. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt CJ, Apirion D (1983) T4 transfer RNAs: paradigmatic system for the study of RNA processing, In: Mathews CK, Kutter EM, Mosig G, Berget PB (eds) Bacteriophage T4. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, pp 208–217Google Scholar
- Sharp PM, Rogers MS, McConnell DJ (1985) Selection pressures on codon usage in the complete genome of bacteriophage T7. J Mol Evol 21:150–160Google Scholar
- Wiberg JS, Karam JD (1983) Translational regulation in T4 phage development. In: Mathews CW, Kutter EM, Mosig G, Berget PB (eds) Bacteriophage T4. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, pp 193–201Google Scholar