Efficient implementation of heuristics for the continuous network design problem
- 145 Downloads
In this paper, we present an efficient implementation of heuristic procedures for solving the continuous network design problem where network users behave according to Wardrop's first principle of traffic equilibrium. Numerical results involving a “standard” benchmark problem are given. Also, it is shown that the cost mapping arising in the Iterative-Optimization-Assignment algorithm is integrable if and only if the volume-delay function is of either the BPR or some logarithmic form.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Abdulaal and L.J. LeBanc, Continuous equilibrium design models, Transport. Res. 13B(1979)19–32.Google Scholar
- S.C. Dafermos, Traffic equilibrium and variational inequalities, Transport. Sci. 14(1980)42–54.Google Scholar
- T.L. Friesz, C. Suwansirikul and R.L. Tobin, Equilibrium Decomposition Optimization: A heuristic for the continuous equilibrium network design problem, Transport. Sci. 21(1987)254–263.Google Scholar
- M. Florian, J. Guélat and H. Spiess, An efficient implementation of the PARTAN variation of the linear approximation method for the network equilibrium problem, Networks 17(1987)319–340.Google Scholar
- M. Fukushima, A modified Frank-Wolfe algorithm for solving the traffic assignment problem, Transport. Res. 18B(1984)169–177.Google Scholar
- D.W. Hearn. The gap function of a convex program, Oper. Res. Lett. 1(1981)67–71.Google Scholar
- S. Lawphongpanich and D.W. Hearn, Simplicial decomposition of the asymmetric traffic assignment problem, Transport. Res. 18B(1984)123–133.Google Scholar
- P. Marcotte, Network optimization with continuous control parameters, Transport. Sci. 17(1983)181–197.Google Scholar
- P. Marcotte, Network design problem with congestion effects: A case of bilevel programming. Math. Progr. 34(1986)142–162.Google Scholar
- P. Marcotte and J. Guélat, A modified Newton method for solving the asummetric traffic equilibrium problem, Transport. Sci. 22(1988)112–124.Google Scholar
- L. LeBlanc, E. Morlok and W. Pierskalla, An efficient approach to solving road network equilibrium traffic assignment problems, Transport. Res. 9B(1975)309–318.Google Scholar
- M.J. Smith, The existence, uniqueness and stability of traffic equilbria, Transport. Res. 13B(1979)295–304.Google Scholar