Erythromycin accelerates solid emptying at the expense of gastric sieving
- 22 Downloads
Erythromycin accelerates gastric emptying by inducing antral contractions similar to phase III of interdigestive MMC. These powerful contractions are capable of forcing coin-sized indigestibles out of the stomach. In contrast, fed motility is associated with submaximal contractions that fragment (trituration) and propel solids while retaining large (>0.5 mm) pieces for further size reduction (gastric sieving). In this study, using dogs with duodenal fistulas, we tested the hypothesis that erythromycin-induced acceleration of gastric emptying resulted in the passage of inadequately triturated (>0.5 mm) chunks of solids into the duodenum. We found that gastric emptying was accelerated by erythromycin (vs 0.15 M NaCl control,P<0.05). However, the percentage of chyme collected in the >0.5-mm fraction was much greater (P<0.01) in the erythromycin-treated experiments (63±9%) than the controls (7±1%). Correspondingly, while a fine gruel was passed during controls, under erythromycin infusion, most of the solids were emptied as large chunks virtually unchanged from the swallowed pieces. We conclude that erythromycin accelerates gastric emptying at the expense of gastric sieving.
Key wordsgastric motility gastric emptying prokinetic agents
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Meyer JH: The physiology of gastric motility and gastric emptying.In Textbook of Gastroenterology. T. Yamada (ed). Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1991, pp 137–158Google Scholar
- 5.Meyer JH, Thomson JB, Cohen MB, Shadcheher A, Mandiolla S: Sieving of food by the canine stomach and sieving after gastric surgery. Gastroenterology 76:80–813, 1976Google Scholar
- 7.Otterson MF, Sarna SK: Gastrointestinal motor effects of erythromycin. Am J Physiol 259:G55-G363, 1990Google Scholar
- 10.Pilot MA, Ritchie HD, Thompson HH, Zara GP: Alterations in gastrointestinal motility associated with erythromycin. Br J Pharmacol 91:168P, 1984Google Scholar
- 22.Itoh Z, Aizawa I, Sekiguchi T: The interdigestive migrating complex and its significance in man. Clin J Gastroenterol 11:497–521, 1982Google Scholar