Prognostic value of cytosolic estrogen receptors in human colorectal carcinoma and surrounding mucosa
Estrogen receptors have been found in normal and neoplastic gastrointestinal mucosa. The aim of our study was to verify whether the content of cytosolic estrogen receptor in normal and neoplastic tissue has a prognostic value in patients with colorectal adenocarcinoma. Eighty consecutive patients entered the study, and their follow-up was complete because non were lost to follow-up. Estrogen receptors were evaluated by an enzymatic immunoassay. Fifty-four percent of neoplastic samples and 84% of samples from surrounding mucosa showed an estrogen receptor content higher than 1.0 fmol/mg of cytosolic proteins (cut point for positive/negative hormone receptor status). Estrogen receptor levels were lower in neoplastic tissue than surrounding mucosa (1.2±1.05 fmol/mg protein vs 2.07±1.36 fmol/mg protein, respectively,t testP=0.001). The survival of patients with estrogen receptor expression in uninvolved surrounding mucosa was longer than that of patients without estrogen receptor in the same type of mucosa (log rank test,P<0.01). In the neoplastic tissue, receptor status had no prognostic value (log rank,P=0.8). After taking into account the most important potential confounders by using the Cox proportional hazard model, the estrogen receptor status in normal mucosa samples maintained an independent prognostic value. These results support an association between the estrogen receptor status in normal mucosa and survival of patients with colorectal adenocarcinoma.
Key wordsestrogen receptors colorectal adenocarcinoma prognostic value
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Greenway B, Iqbal MJ, Johnson PJ, Williams R: Oestrogen receptor protein in malignant fetal pancreas. Br Med J 283:751–753, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.McClendon JE, Appleby D, Claudon DB, Donegan WL, De Cosse JJ: Colonic neoplasms, tissue estrogen receptor and carcinoembryonic antigen. Arch Surg 112:140–141, 1977Google Scholar
- 8.Wobbes T, Beex LV, Koenders AM: Estrogen and progestinic receptors in colonic cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 27:51–52, 1984Google Scholar
- 13.Mc Guire WL, Carbone PP, Vollner EP: Estrogen Receptors in Human Breast Cancer. New York, Raven Press, 1975, pp 37–56Google Scholar
- 14.Soutter WP, Leake RE: Steroid hormone receptors in gynaecological cancers.In Recent Advances in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol. 15. J Bonner (ed). Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone, 1987, pp 175–194Google Scholar
- 25.Sporn MB, Roberts AB: Introduction: autocrine, paracrine, and endocrine mechanism and growth control. Cancer Surv 4:627–632, 1985Google Scholar