Hepatoduodenal bile transit in cholecystectomized subjects
- 36 Downloads
The hepatic hilum-duodenum transit time (HHDT) was evaluated in cholecystectomized subjects to assess its relationship with the motor function of the sphincter of Oddi (SO) and its diagnostic accuracy in the detection of SO dysfunction. The study was performed in asymptomatic controls and symptomatic patients with SO dysfunction before and after sphincterotomy. HHDT showed a direct correlation with manometric SO maximal basal pressure (r=0.77;P<0.001) but not with SO phasic activity. In sphincterotomized subjects HHDT did not differ from that of the asymptomatic subjects, and HHDT, which was prolonged before sphincterotomy, normalized after sphincterotomy. HHDT had a 100% specificity and an 83% sensitivity in diagnosing SO dysfunction when compared to SO manometry. In conclusion, the cholescintigraphic HHDT is mainly related to the SO maximal basal pressure, presenting an elevated specificity and a satisfactory sensitivity in the diagnosis of SO dysfunction in cholecystectomized subjects.
Key wordsbile flow cholescintigraphy sphincter of Oddi dysfunction motor activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Darweesh RMA, Dodds WJ, Hogan WJ, Geenen JE, Collier BD, Shaker R, Kishk SMA, Stewart ET, Lawson TL, Hassanein EH, Joestgen TM: Efficacy of quantitative hepatobiliary scintigraphy and fatty meal sonography for evaluating patients with suspected partial common duct obstruction. Gastroenterology 94:779–786, 1988PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Cicala M, Corazziari E, Habib FI, Scopinaro F, Piazzoni F, Schillaci O, Vignoni A, Ricci GL, Torsoli A: The scintigraphic measure of bile transit from the liver to the duodenum is not affected by liver disease. Gastroenterology 104(4):A357, 1993Google Scholar
- 15.Darweesh RM, Dodds WJ, Hogan WJ, Geenen JE, Lawson TL, Stewart ET, Shaker R, Kishk SM: Fatty-meal sonography for evaluating patients with suspected partial common duct obstruction. Am J Roentgenol 151(1):63–68, 1988Google Scholar
- 18.Corazziari E, Biliotti D, International Club for the Study of Oddi's Sphincter (ICSOS): Sphincter of Oddi manometry. Gastroenterol Int 2:180–184, 1989Google Scholar
- 22.Habib FI: International workshop on sphincter of Oddi manometry. Data from questionnaires. Ital J Gastroenterol 18:35–36, 1986Google Scholar