Nerve-mediated nitric oxide production by opossum lower esophageal sphincter
- 13 Downloads
Antagonists of nitric oxide synthesis inhibit nerve-induced hyperpolarization and relaxation of muscle from the opossum lower esophageal sphincter. These studies test the hypothesis that nitric oxide is released during stimulation of intrinsic esophageal nerves. The intrinsic nerves were stimulated with an electrical field (10-sec trains of 1-msec, 30-V pulses delivered at 10 Hz). Nitric oxide production was measured with a DASIBI model 2108 Chemiluminescence NO Analyzer.NG-Nitro-l-arginine, an inhibitor of NO synthase, antagonized nerve-induced relaxation the lower esophageal sphincter. Nerve stimulation increased NO production from 0.50±0.04 nmol/min/100 mg tissue to 0.87±0.07 nmol/min/100 mg tissue (P<0.01).NG-nitro-l-arginine inhibited both basal (0.030±0.09 nmol/min/100 mg tissue,P<0.05 vs baseline) and stimulated (0.38±0.10 nmol/min/100 mg tissue,P<0.01 vs stimulated). These studies support the hypothesis that nerve stimulation releases nitric oxide from the lower esophageal sphincter.
Key wordsenteric nervous system nonadrenergic noncholinergic nerves esophagus gastrointestinal motility peristalsis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boeckxstaens GE, Pelkmans PA, Bogers JJ, Bult H, De Man JG, Oosterbosch L, Herman G, Van Maercke YM: Release of nitric oxide upon stimulation of nonadrenergic noncholinergic nerves of the guinea pig fundus. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 256:441–447, 1990Google Scholar
- 5.Du C, Murray J, Conklin JL: Cyclic GMP mediates nitric oxide-produced NANC hyperpolarization of opossum esophageal circular smooth muscle. Gastroenterology 102:A443, 1992Google Scholar
- 11.Conklin JL, Du C, Murray JA, Bates JN: Characterization and mediator of inhibitory junction potentials of opossum lower esophageal sphincter. Gastroenterology (submitted)Google Scholar
- 16.Fang S, Christensen J: Distribution of NADPH diaphorase in intramural plexuses of cat and opossum esophagus. J Auton Nerv Syst 46:123–133, 1993Google Scholar
- 17.Cox RD: Determination of nitrate and nitrite at the parts per billion level by chemiluminescence. Anal Chem 52:332–335, 1980Google Scholar
- 21.Mulsch A, Busse R:N G-nitro-l-arginine (N5-[imino(nitroamino-methyl]-l-ornithine) impairs endothelium-dependent dilations by inhibiting cytosolic nitric oxide synthesis froml-arginine. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 341:143–147, 1990Google Scholar