A unique method for reducing losses of bends in dielectric optical wave guide
- 32 Downloads
The dielectric optical wave guide is finding growing attention at millimeter wave frequencies. However the dielectric optical waveguide radiates at bends and thus transmission loss increases. These radiations are in the outword direction of bends. This output radiation at output bends arises due to change in phase velocities of the propagating wave at the centre of the dielectric guide and the phase velocity at the outer surface of the dielectric guide. A unique methiod is suggested to avoid these radiation losses.Experimental results are also shown at microwave frequencies.
KeywordsRadiation Microwave Outer Surface Phase Velocity Wave Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.A.J. Marcatili., “Bends in optical dielectric guides”, Bell system Technical Journal, vol. 48, pp. 2101- 2132. Sept. 1969.Google Scholar
- R.M.Knox, P.P.Toulios and J.Q.Howell., “Radiation losses in Curved Dielectric Image wave guides of rectangular cross. section”, IEEE Trans. MTT.- International microwave symposicim, pp.25–27, 1973.Google Scholar
- E.G. Neumann and H.D. Rudolph.,“Poynting vector and the wavefront near a plane conductor” Electronic Letters, vol. 10, pp.446–447, 1974.Google Scholar
- T.Itoh and B.Adelseck., “ Trapped image guide for millimeter wave circuits”, IEEE Trans, Microwave Theory Tech. vol.MTT-28 PP. 1433–1436, Dec. 1980.Google Scholar
- T.Yoneyama, M.Yamaguchi and S.Nishida., “Bends in non radiative dielectric wave guide”, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech, Vol. MTT -30, PP. 2146–2150, Dec. 1982.Google Scholar
- E.G. Neumann., “ Redusing radiation losses of tilts in dielectric optical wave guides” Electronic Letters, vol. 3, pp. 35–36, March 1981.Google Scholar
- A.K.Tiwari and R.P.Singh., “An efficient image guide mode launcher”, International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter waves, vol.7 No.6, pp.845. 1986.Google Scholar