Quality mapping of the Ryytimaa dolomite in western Finland
- 33 Downloads
The Ryytimaa dolomite formation in western Finland is mined for fertilizing purposes in agriculture. Ordinary kriging, indicator kriging, and indicator principal components simulation were used to map the dolomite quality. The fertilizing properties depend on the relative amounts of MgO and neutralizing CaO in dolomite. Based on the chemical composition the dolomite is divided into six quality classes according to the Finnish legislation. This quality classification is only partially in accordance with the three populations inferred from the distributions of the MgO, CaO, and neutralizing CaO contents. These populations probably represent compositionally different dolomite layers, now forming complicated fold interference structures that are visible on the kriged maps. The mapping of the quality, and thus, selective mining of the dolomite deposit is possible using the quality classification based on the three populations. In contrast, selective mining of the dolomite based on the legislation is difficult—at least with techniques used in this study.
Key wordsFennoscandia kriging indicators indicator principal components simulation geostatistics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deutsch, C. V., and Journel, A. G., 1992, GSLIB: Geostatislical Software Library and user's guide: Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 340 p.Google Scholar
- Efron, B., 1982. The Jackknife, the bootstrap, and other resampling plans: Soc. Industrial and Applied Math., Philadelphia, 92 p.Google Scholar
- Isaaks, E. H., and Srivastava, R. M., 1989. An introduction to applied geostatistics: Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 561 p.Google Scholar
- Journel, A. G., 1983, Non-parametric estimation of spatial distributions: Math. Geology, v. 15, no. 3, p. 445–468.Google Scholar
- Journel, A., and Huijbregts, Ch., 1978, Mining geostatistics: Academic Press, 600 p.Google Scholar
- Laitakari, A., 1942. Suomen geologinen yleiskartta. lehti B 3. Kivilajikartan selitys (The general geologic map of Finland. Vaasa. Sheet B 3) Suomen geologinen toimikunta.Google Scholar
- Suro-Perez, V., and Journel, A. G., 1990, Stochastic simulation of lithofacies an improved sequential indicator approach: Proc. 2nd European Conf. Mathematics of Oil Recovery, Technip. Publ., Paris, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- Törnroos, R., 1974, Geologin inom Vindala-Alaj:arvi omradet i Sydösterbotten (in Swedish): unpubl. masters thesis. Univ. Helsinki. 54 p.Google Scholar
- Vaarma, M., 1990, Pohjanmaan liuskevyöhykkeen geologia EvijÄrven alueella (in Finnish): Licentiate thesis, Univ. Helsinki, 101 p.Google Scholar