Failure of calcitriol treatment in a patient with malignant osteopetrosis
- 25 Downloads
In an attempt to stimulate bone resportion, a 10-week-old infant with malignant infantile osteopetrosis was treated with high doses of calcitriol, a potent bone resorption stimulatory agent, combined with a low calcium diet to prevent hypercalcaemia. Although calcitriol administration was initiated at this very young age, our patient did not show any clinical, radiological, or histological improvement. Despite reports of positive results of this treatment in the literature, our patient did not reveal any signs of bone resorption. She eventually died from the complications of osteopetrosis at the age of 6 months after 88 days of therapy.
Key wordsMalignant infantile osteopetrosis Calcitriol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bergman J, Loxley R (1963) Two improved and simplified methods for the spectrophotometric determination of hydroxyproline. Anal Chem 35:1961–1965Google Scholar
- 3.Frölich M, Dijk-Besling M van, Sokolowski G, Nieuwenhuijzen Kruseman AC (1982) Comparison of two radioimmuno assays used for the detection of early stages of medullary carcinoma of the thyroid. J Endocrinol 94 (S25):13Google Scholar
- 4.Glorieux FH, Pettifor JM, Marie PJ, Delvin EE, Travers R, Shepard N (1981) Induction of bone resorption by parathyroid hormone in congenital malignant osteopetrosis. Metab Bone Dis 3:143–150Google Scholar
- 5.Helfrich MH, Aronson DC, Everts V, Mieremet RHP, Gerritsen EJA, Eckhardt PG, Groot CG, Scherft JP (1988) Morphologic features of bone in human osteopetrosis and pycnodysostosis. In: Helfrich MH. Morphology and in vitro formation of normal versus osteopetrotic osteoclasts in microphtalmic mice and in humans. Doctorate Thesis, University of Leiden. Kanters, Alblasserdam, pp 101–27Google Scholar
- 10.Rouleau MF, Warshawsky H, Marks SC, Goltzman O (1986) Calcitonin receptor binding as a marker of osteoclast heterogeneity in osteopetrotic rodents. J Bone Min Res 1:543–553Google Scholar
- 11.Sieff CA, Levinsky RJ, Rogers DW, Muller K, Chessells JM, Pritchard J, Casey A, Hall CM (1983) Allogeneic bone-marrow transplantation in infantile malignant osteopetrosis. Lancet I:437–441Google Scholar