Expression of homeobox-containing genes in human preimplantation development and in embryos with chromosomal aneuploidies
- 37 Downloads
Purpose: The purpose of the study was to investigate homeobox gene expression in human oocytes and preembryos and in postimplantation embryos with impaired embryonic development determined by chromosomal abnormalities.
Methods: Reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) with intron spanning primer sets for Homeobox gene sequences was used.
Results: The homeobox genes HoxA4, HoxA7, HoxB4, and HoxB5 were present in human oocytes and cleaving normal and triploid embryos. The expression pattern was different between chromosomally abnormal and normal first-trimester embryos. Of four homeobox transcripts (HoxA7, HoxB4, HoxB5, and HoxC6) that are expressed in diploid embryos, only HoxA7, HoxB4, and HoxC6 were present in a trisomy 7 embryo, and only HoxB4 and HoxB5 in triploid embryos and an embryo with trisomy 9. Cloning experiments revealed differences in the number of homeobox clones obtained from trisomy 7 and control embryos.
Conclusions: The transcipts of homeobox genes, HoxA4, HoxA7, HoxB4, and HoxB5, were present in oocytes and cleaving embryos. The pattern of expression of homeobox genes in cultured fibroblasts derived from spontaneously aborted embryos with aneuploidies was different from that in control diploid cells.
Key wordsHomeobox preimplantation development aneuploidy triploidy spontaneously aborted embryos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kuliev A, Kukharenko V, Grinberg K: Morphological, Autoradiographic, immunochemical and cytogenetic investigation of a cell strain with a trisomy 7 from a spontaneous abortus. Humangenetik 1973;12:285–295Google Scholar
- 3.Duboule D (ed): Guidebook to the Homeobox Genes. New York, Oxford University Press, 1994Google Scholar
- 9.Boncinelli E, Acampora D, Pannese M, D'Esposito M, Somma R, Gaudino G, Stornaiolo A, Cafiero M, Faiella A, Simeone A: Organization of class I homeobox genes. Genome 1989;31:7455–756Google Scholar
- 10.GenBank 70.0: HIBIO Gene/Protein Sequence Database. Hitachi Software Engineering Co., 1991Google Scholar
- 12.Simeone A, Pannese M, Acampora D, D'Esposito M, Boncinelli E: At least three human homeoboxes along chromosome 12 belong to the same transcription unit. Nucl Acid Res 1988;16:5379–5387.Google Scholar
- 13.Giampaolo A, Acampora D, Zappavigna V, Pannese M, D'Esposito M, Care A, Faiella A, Stornaiuolo A, Russo G, Simeone A, Boncinelli E, Peschle C: Differential expression of human HOX-2 genes along the anterior-posterior axis in embryonic central nervous system. Differentiation, 1989;40:191–197PubMedGoogle Scholar