Kairomone from dandelion,Taraxacum officinale, attractant for scarab beetleAnomala octiescostata
- 117 Downloads
The attraction of the scarab beetleAnomala octiescostata to dandelion,Taraxacum officinale, was demonstrated to be chemically mediated by a mixture ofcis-3-hexenyl acetate, benzaldehyde, phenylacetaldehyde, benzyl alcohol, phenethyl alcohol, phenylacetonitrile, and benzyl benzoate, in the ratio 4:8:14:3:5:19:11. Combination of the synthetic kairomone and sex pheromone (buibuilactone + japonilure, 8:2), significantly increased the total catches ofA. octiescostata. Catches of male (but not female) beetles were significantly higher with the kairomone-pheromone blend than with kairomone alone. The synergistic effect of the kairomone from dandelion on the attractiveness did not significantly differ from that of a food-type lure, anethol, geraniol, and phenethyl propionate (9:0.5:0.5). The latter combined with the synthetic sex pheromone resulted in better attraction of female (but not male)A. octiescostata than the sex pheromone alone.
Key Wordscis-3-Hexenyl acetate benzaldehyde phenylacetaldehyde benzyl alcohol phenethyl alcohol phenylacetonitrile benzyl benzoate anethol geraniol phenethyl propionate kairomone sex pheromone dandelion Taraxacum officionale Coleoptera Scarabidae Anomala oritescostata scarab beetle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Klein, M.G., Tumlinson, J.H., Ladd, T.L., Jr., andDoolittle, R.E. 1981. Japanese beetle (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae): Response to synthetic sex attractant plus phenethyl propionate: Eugenol.J. Chem. Ecol. 7:1–7.Google Scholar
- Koseki, K., Ebata, T., Kadokura, H., Kawakami, H., Ono, M., andMatsushita, H. 1993. Synthesis of sex pheromones of the Japanese beetle and cupreous chafer beetle.Tetrahedron 49:5961–5968.Google Scholar
- Leal, W.S. 1991. (R,Z)-5-(-)-(Oct-1-enyl)oxacyclopentan-2-one, the sex pheromone of the scarab beetleAnomala cuprea.Naturwissenschaften 78:521–523.Google Scholar
- Leal, W.S., Matsuyama, S., Kuwahara, Y., Wakamura, S., andHasegawa, M. 1992. An amino acid derivative as the sex pheromone of a scarab beetle.Naturwissenschaften 79:184–185.Google Scholar
- Leal, W.S., Sawada, M., Hasegawa, M., andSato, Y. 1993. Miscommunication in scarab beetles: Attraction ofProtaetia orientalis to 1-isoleucine methyl ester, a sex pheromone ofHolotrichia parallela. Program, 37th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Applied Entomology and Zoology, p. 8.Google Scholar
- Leal, W.S., Hasegawa, M., Sawada, M., Ono, M., andUeda, Y. 1994a. Identification and field evaluation ofAnomala octiescostata (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) sex pheromone.J. Chem. Ecol. 20:1643–1655.Google Scholar
- Leal, W.S., Kawamura, F., andOno, M. 1994b. The scarab beetleAnomala albopilosa sakishimina utilizes the same sex pheromone blend as a closely related and geographically isolated species,Anomala cuprea.J. Chem. Ecol. 20:1667–1676.Google Scholar
- SAS Institute. 1989. Software for Statistical Visualization on the Apple Macintosh. JMP Introductory Guide. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.Google Scholar