Serum and secretory IgA immune response to Klebsiella pneumoniae in ankylosing spondylitis
- 32 Downloads
Serum and salivary IgA antibodies toKlebsiella pneumoniae were estimated by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) in 53 patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and 30 healthy controls. The concentrations of total serum IgA, salivary secretory component (SC) and serum C-reactive protein (CRP) were also measured. In the serum of AS patients there was a positive correlation between Klebsiella IgA antibodies and the CRP. Salivary anti-Klebsiella IgA was elevated in 39% of AS patients although this was not associated with disease activity. Serum and secretory IgA antibodies toE. coli andPseudomonas aeruginosa were similar in patients and controls irrespective of disease activity. We conclude that part of the increase in salivary and serum IgA in AS may be due to a specific immune response toKlebsiella in the gastrointestinal tract and that serum antibodies reflect more closely those events associated with active inflammatory disease.
Key wordsAnkylosing Spondylitis Klebsiella Pneumoniae IgA Antibody
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Kuberski, T.T., Morse, H.G., Rate, R.G., Bonnell, M.D. Increased recovery of Klebsiella from the gastrointestinal tract of Reiter's syndrome and ankylosing spondylitis patients. Arthritis Rheum, 1981, 24 (Suppl. 4), 578, Abst. 123.Google Scholar
- 8.Ebringer, R., Ebringer, A. Ankylosing spondylitis: Host-parasite interaction in the production of rheumatological disease. In: Recent Advances in Rheumatology II, Edited by Watson-Buchanan W. and Carson Dick W., Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1981, pp 107–120.Google Scholar
- 12.Clowes, R.C., Hayes, W. Experiments in microbial genetics. New York: Wiley, 1980.Google Scholar
- 16.Laurent, M.R., and Panayi, G.S. Acute Phase Proteins and Immunoglobulins in AS. Ann Rheum Dis, (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.La Brooy, J.T., Shearman, D.J.C. Antibody in the defences of the gut. In: Topics in Gastroenterology 7, Edited by Truelove S.C. and Willoughby C.P., Blackwell Scientific Publications 1979, pp 177–191.Google Scholar
- 21.McGhee, J.R., Mestecky, J., Babb, J.L. In: Secretory Immunity and Infection. Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Secretory Immune System and Caries Immunity. Adv Exp Med Biol, 1978, 107, Plenum.Google Scholar
- 22.Friedberg, M., Larsen, S., Denneberg, T. Yersinia enterocolitica and glomerulonephritis. Lancet, 1979, 1, 498–499.Google Scholar