Temporal variations of iodine-127, potassium-40 and technetium-99 concentrations in Fucus serratus in the English Channel
- 49 Downloads
The trends of127I,40K, and99Tc levels were measured for several years inFucus serratus collected in 3 different Channel coastal stations. The results demonstrated cyclic seasonal variations of the levels, with maximum values in winter and minimum values in summer (ranging between 2 and 3). Ash levels evolved with a similar cycle, which allowed to estimate that the cycle thus observed was related to the alga biological activity and not to the releases. Trends of99Tc levels were more complex. At Roscoff, a station little exposed to the releases, levels varied with the same annual cycle as natural elements. At Herquemoulin, a station close to the release point, the trend was mainly related to the released activities with a delay of about 1 year. At Wimereux, a distant station more strongly affected by sea currents, the cycle appeared in 1983 and 1984 but was hidden in 1985 and 1986 by the arrival of waters more strongly labelled because of the larger releases that occurred in 1985 (26 TBq), instead of 12 TBq in 1983 and 1984.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Biological Activity Temporal Variation Seasonal Variation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. CALMET, F. PATTI, S. CHARMASSON, J. Environ. Radioactivity, 5 (1987) 57.Google Scholar
- 2.F. PATTI, M. GARCET, L. JEANMAIRE, Radioprotection, 23 (1988) 381.Google Scholar
- 3.J. ANCELLIN, P. GUEGUENIAT, P. GERMAIN, Radioécologie Marine, Eyrolles, Paris, 1979, p. 10 and 112.Google Scholar
- 4.F. PATTI, M. MASSON, G. VERGNAUD, L. JEANMAIRE, in: Technetium in the Environment, Cadarache 23–26 Oct. 1984, G. DESMET, C. MYTTENAERE (Eds), Elsevier, London, 1986, p. 37 (EUR-10102).Google Scholar
- 5.NCRP (National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements). Iodine 129: Evaluation of release from Nuclear Power Generation (NCRP Report No. 75) NCRP, Bethesda, 1983, p. 6.Google Scholar
- 6.F. PATTI, L. CAPPELLINI, L. JEANMAIRE, Détermination du technétium-99 dans des échantillons biologiques marins. CEA-N-2140, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.F. PATTI, Détermination du technétium-99 dans les eaux résiduaires radioactives. Rapport DPR-82/4 SPS, 1982-CEA/IPSN Fontenay aux Roses.Google Scholar
- 8.S. CHARMASSON, D. CALMET, M. L. DABURON, L. JEANMAIRE, F. PATTI, J. M. WILLEMOT, Résultats du réseau d'observation de la radioactivité en milieu marin littoral en France, années 1983 à 1986. Rapports DPS-85/06, 86/04, 86/09, 87/06-CEA/IPSN/DPS, Fontenay aux Roses.Google Scholar
- 9.E. HOLM, J. RIOSECO, A. AARKROG, H. DAHLBAARD, L. HALLSTADIUS, B. BJURMAN, R. HEDVALL, Technetium-99 in the Baltic Sea, in: Technetium in the Environment, Cadarache 23–26 Oct. 1984, G. DESMET, C. MYTTENAERE (Eds), Elsevier, London, 1986, p. 61 (EUR-10102).Google Scholar